Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I received my carpet set from Eckler's (ACC) and I am quite pleased with it. I started to fit the rear side panels and storage sections today and, as usual, I have a few questions.

1) Do you guys recommend glueing all carpet sections into the car or are there certain key pieces that require glueing? Having worked with contact cement before I am very leery about glueing some of the more tedious to install sections for fear that they'll get stuck before they are fit just right.

2) The floor sections of my original carpet had a rubber trim piece that went around the area where the front lap belt came through the carpet. My replacement carpet doesn't have this and I was wondering if this is something that can be transferred without too much difficulty or are there other suggestions for handling this?

That's all the questions I have for now; man is it nerve racking to trim the carpet or what? I don't know if I was sweating so much because it was so hot or from nerves.

Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
741 Posts
I installed ACC carpets two weeks ago and am very pleased with their quality and value. Personally, I would not glue them. You may want to remove them for service or for whatever. I did not glue mine, and they are all in there perfectly. There are several things that keep them in place, your rear storage thing, the strap mount, speaker mount, kick panel, sill trim etc. So I did not glue mine, and would NOT reccomend glueing yours.

As for the lap belt thing, I dont know, mine did not have one, I have a 79.

Finally, instead of expensive dynamat and all that stuff to go under the carpet in the front, I went with Reflectix. This is really bubble wrap covered in aluminum foil. Its cheap, you can get it at Lowes, its easy to install, and it works just fine. Just my opinion.

Take care, have fun...

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would recommend using spray glue adhesive. I recently did this and I asked the guy who recovered my seats what to use and he sent me to an upholstery shop to get a certain type of spray glue. It was a bit pricey but the same stuff can be found at Home Depot or Lowe's. I think it's called 3M spray adhesive, or something close. I took the jute padding off of the back of the carpet and glued it down first, then I glued the carpet onto the pad. That worked best for me and I was very pleased with the way it came out. Also by using the spray glue, you can always rip off the carpet if you need to. This stuff will do the job but it's not so sticky that if you make a boo-boo that you can't unglue it if you need to, plus if you don't glue it you might get bulging in certain areas too. Good luck! Also, make sure that you spray both the car's surface as well as the back of the carpet too, wait a few seconds to ensure its tacky then stick it down!!! Spray all surfaces so that there's glue to glue contact.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I started to install the rear cargo area pieces and was generally pleased with the fit until I got to the cargo floor section. I can't imagine how anyone gets those damn rubber plugs back in place. I tried heating them up in boiling water and coating them with soap but, that didn't work. I read where it helps to have someone push the plugs from the inside while another pulls with pliers from the outside. That sounds great for the front floor sections but the rear is blocked by the fuel tank; please don't tell me I have to remove the fuel tank to install these plugs.

I never imagined installing carpet would be some friggin' frustrating. Why can't any of the suppliers sell carpet kits that are pre-cut to fit? I have had to trim each piece to some extent and can't imagine why. These kits are ordered for the specific year and I'm pretty sure the interior dimensions are a constant.

Oh well, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get these rubber carpet plugs installed I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I can't imagine how anyone gets those damn rubber plugs back in place....
Clean the holes well. They can get semi-covered with sealant, road gook, etc. Clean the plugs well. Shoot a light coat of WD-40 on the business ends and push them in.

I did mine without the help of a second person, BUT having someone pulling them through as you're pushing will help. I also used the original plugs; reproductions might be a little on the big side.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Dynamat it! Don't screw with the rubber plugs. Plus if you Dynamat it, it'll deaden the exhaust note too!! That stuff sticks like crazy glue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts