Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thursday one of my friends returned to his car for the commute home, turned the key and holy crap the car was loud! Turned the key off, looked under his car to check the muffler and saw that his catalylic converter was gone!

This was a new one for me, but doing a search on the net there is numerous articles that this crime is increasing. The thieves are after the platinum that is in the catalytiic converter.

TWN

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
That's the craziest thing I've heard in a while.

This guy have a 4x4 or something? Heck, you can't get your arm under my car.

·
Banned
972 Posts

SAme here
That is nustz

good luck getting uner my car

·
Registered
159 Posts
yes. there's an eppidemic of these thefts lately. they're not resold as replacements they're sold as scrap metal.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
yes. there's an eppidemic of these thefts lately. they're not resold as replacements they're sold as scrap metal.
But... what a strange thing to steal. I mean... it's a bitch getting the bolts off, the exhausts can be scalding hot still... you inhale all that crap. bust your knuckles... and most don't just drop out, you have to take off other parts of the exhaust system first.

I'd just knock old ladies over and steal their social security checks. Seems far easier and a more substantial ROI if your gonna be a criminal.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
But... what a strange thing to steal. I mean... it's a bitch getting the bolts off, the exhausts can be scalding hot still... you inhale all that crap. bust your knuckles... and most don't just drop out, you have to take off other parts of the exhaust system first.

I'd just knock old ladies over and steal their social security checks. Seems far easier and a more substantial ROI if your gonna be a criminal.
I did a search. Seems it is a big problem. The thieves aren't unbolting them. They are using a battery powered sawzall and buzzing right through the pipe.

As far as being a criminal I prefer something a bit more organized, like hit man, bookie or mob boss. Maybe even a bank stick up or two. Perhaps even setting a good telephone scam to drain old folks bank accounts. If your going to do it may as well think big.

·
Registered
939 Posts
How much free HP do you think that adds?:laughing:

Just playin', that sucks that people like that are out there

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Patrick, It's a 2002 Montero XLS AWD. It doesn't have a lift on it, but it sits really high off the ground. They just laid down underneath and cut it off.

Said it will cost $1200 to get fixed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts