Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:laughing: Oh boy, this insolvency stuff is going to be fun.

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) this week released a report that said taxing people based on how many miles they drive is a possible option for raising new revenues and that these taxes could be used to offset the costs of highway maintenance at a time when federal funds are short.

The report discussed the proposal in great detail, including the development of technology that would allow total vehicle miles traveled (VMT) to be tracked, reported and taxed, as well as the pros and cons of mandating the installation of this technology in all vehicles.

"In the past, the efficiency costs of implementing a system of VMT charges — particularly the costs of users' time for slowing and queuing at tollbooths — would clearly have outweighed the potential benefits from more efficient use of highway capacity," CBO wrote. "Now, electronic metering and billing are making per-mile charges a practical option."

The report was requested by Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), who held a hearing on transportation funding in early March. In that hearing, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said the Obama administration is hoping to spend $556 billion over the next six years, much of which would go to federal transportation improvement projects.

Conrad said in response that federal funds are tight, and in asking for recommendations on how to raise that money, he noted the possibility of a VMT tax as a way to solve the problem of collecting less in taxes as people move to more fuel-efficient vehicles.

"Do we do gas tax?" Conrad asked. "Do we move to some kind of an assessment that is based on how many miles vehicles go, so that we capture revenue from those who are going to be using the roads who aren't going to be paying any gas tax, or very little, with hybrids and electric cars?"

Conrad argued some recommendation should be made by his committee on these issues when the Senate considers a transportation spending bill later this year.

CBO's report stressed it was making no recommendations but seemed to support a VMT tax as a more accurate way of having drivers pay for the costs of highway maintenance. The report said miles driven is a larger factor in highway repairs than fuel consumption and suggested that having drivers pay for the real costs of highways "would involve imposing a combination of fuel taxes and per-mile charges."

But CBO's assessment of "costs" was broader than just those costs associated with maintaining highway systems.

"Any given driver’s highway use also imposes costs on other users, on nearby nonusers, on the environment, and on the economy in the form of congestion, risk of accidents, noise, emissions of greenhouse gases and pollutants that affect local air quality, and dependence on foreign oil," CBO said.

On how to implement the idea, CBO said it is unclear how much it would cost to "install metering equipment in all of the nation's cars and trucks."

"Having the devices installed as original equipment under a mandate to vehicle manufacturers would be relatively inexpensive but could lead to a long transition; requiring vehicles to be retrofitted with the devices could be faster but much more costly, and the equipment could be more susceptible to tampering than factory-installed equipment might be," CBO said.

The report added that VMT taxes could be tracked and even collected at filling stations. "If VMT taxes were collected at the pump, each time fuel was purchased, information would be sent from a device in the vehicle to a device at the filling station," it said.

CBO also suggested different VMT tax rates might be assessed to different vehicles because heavier vehicles do more road damage, and rates might change depending on whether miles are driven at peak use times or during less congested hours.

CBO did acknowledge that privacy concerns may be a hurdle to implementing a VMT tax because electronic tracking of miles driven might provide too much personal information to the government. However, CBO noted that some have proposed restricting the information that would be transmitted to the government.

Continues in link...

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-acti...les-driven-a-real-option-for-raising-revenues

·
Registered
710 Posts
Here's a better idea... STOP SPENDING SO MUCH F#CKING MONEY!

How many billions of $ do we give away to forign countries? Just give! How about we cut the benefits of CONGRESS. Or how about stop giving our tax $ to people that sit on th couch, eat chips and pop out kids all day. Give me a day I could think of about 234523423423x better ways to fix the budget than pay more money to get where I need to go.... and why does it always have to be a revenue issue? Why isn't it a spending problem?

*end rant*

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
They've regulated away a decent toilet flush. They've regulated away cheap light bulbs. They've regulated away cheap, effective top loading washing machines. Now they want to tax away our driving. When will we rise up demand that the Green movement quit driving our lifestye? I realize this is about raising money, but the greens have been trying to raise the cost of driving for years so that we will do less of it. I am sick and tired of a tiny minority costing inconvience and money for the rest of us.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
They've regulated away a decent toilet flush. They've regulated away cheap light bulbs. They've regulated away cheap, effective top loading washing machines. Now they want to tax away our driving. When will we rise up demand that the Green movement quit driving our lifestye? I realize this is about raising money, but the greens have been trying to raise the cost of driving for years so that we will do less of it. I am sick and tired of a tiny minority costing inconvience and money for the rest of us.
I don't think this has anything to do with greens. It has to do with funding a huge problem in this country. Our roads suck. We have bridges that are colapsing, we have paved roads that make dirt roads look appealing when driving my Corvette. Face it people we have major problems in this country that must be solved. How about instead of building roads and schools for the Iraqi people we build them for the american people. How about we leave the Libians to fight their own battles.
We don't give huge money away to foreign countries like we think we do. We spend huge amounts of money on wars in foreign countries. Almost 10 years of war is destroying the fabric of this country and our infrastructure is the best sign of that. You think the economy gets hurt by high taxes??? See what happens to the economy when our roads become unusable. The 1987 collapse of a NY thruway bridge caused incredible economic hardships to the communities north of the collapse, and the rush to build a replacement bridge cost far more than if the bridge had been repaired or replaced before it collapsed. The same goes for the I35W bridge in Minnesota.
while I do not see a milage tax as the answere, we need to find some way to fix our roads...and hiding our heads in the sand and crying no more spending is just plain stupid. We need to maintain our our country. That is what our government is supposed to do. Demanding that they not do it so we can save a few bucks today will just cost us ten times as much later.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Personally I think they should all be fired

for Disastrous job performance and starring at a 15 trillion dollar deficit 4 days a week

All the while promoting runaway spending

I'd have a good football coach running this country than Obama

At least he has sense enough to know that when you have a bad team like we do in Government

It's time to go to the draft for some New players:nuts:

The current government is trying to get US citizens to downsize like Europe

Who wants to follow a failure lol

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I don't think this has anything to do with greens. It has to do with funding a huge problem in this country. Our roads suck. We have bridges that are colapsing, we have paved roads that make dirt roads look appealing when driving my Corvette. Face it people we have major problems in this country that must be solved. How about instead of building roads and schools for the Iraqi people we build them for the american people. How about we leave the Libians to fight their own battles.
We don't give huge money away to foreign countries like we think we do. We spend huge amounts of money on wars in foreign countries. Almost 10 years of war is destroying the fabric of this country and our infrastructure is the best sign of that. You think the economy gets hurt by high taxes??? See what happens to the economy when our roads become unusable. The 1987 collapse of a NY thruway bridge caused incredible economic hardships to the communities north of the collapse, and the rush to build a replacement bridge cost far more than if the bridge had been repaired or replaced before it collapsed. The same goes for the I35W bridge in Minnesota.
while I do not see a milage tax as the answere, we need to find some way to fix our roads...and hiding our heads in the sand and crying no more spending is just plain stupid. We need to maintain our our country. That is what our government is supposed to do. Demanding that they not do it so we can save a few bucks today will just cost us ten times as much later.
I agree with everything you say. But the people who have found this "solution" to the problem are the same people who want to impose the green agenda on us. They have merely found a way to justify it other than calling it a green initiative. Obama has made it clear for years that he thinks it needs to cost more drive so that we will drive less and so the economics will tilt toward alternative energy sources.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
I would prefer to see the billions upon hundreds of billions of dollars we pay in City, state and fuel taxes, be mandated for the purpose they were introduced... same with the 5 cents here and 3 cents there. If we are to be taxed for roads... every damn penny of that tax should go for it's proposed project. Free and competitive bidding. No prevailing wage. The roads can wait another couple of years... the vast majority, anyway.

A VAT or mileage tax would bring any hope of recovery to a screeching halt. $4 a gallon is already limiting the distance we travel for projects, as the price of fuel has to figured in to our bids. It's that high. If I have a job that is 2 hours away and I have to spend $100 a day in fuel x 5 to 7 days to finish that job... my bid will already be 5 to $700 dollars more then the guy living closer to the job. Not to mention what it does to my employee's paychecks, having to supply their own gas.

Our government has spent wildly on virtually everything but what the tax was intended for. That's enough, now. Time for them to do with what they have already robbed from us. Time for us to start picking our leaders better.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I agree with the MAchine-- but here is another nuance to the problem. For instance in the state of missouri in the late 1980 we voted for a considerable tax on gasoline. this tax was touted as a roads tax.. people overwhelming said yes.

Skip forward a few decades and it's discovered this money wasn't fenced it went and still goes into the genreral fund--which pays for numerous things. for the last few years they have wanted to raise this tax without fencing it soley for roads/bridges.. now the gov't is claiming shortfalls from genereal revenues and other sources 'cause we've said NO.

I think it's time every agency wakes up and starts looking at the way they budget. It's budget methodology reforms that we need-- not more money...and i really doubt that many spending cuts would be necesary if we tracked where our money was spent. I know if we in the US gov had a methodology to save money we would.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I agree with the MAchine-- but here is another nuance to the problem. For instance in the state of missouri in the late 1980 we voted for a considerable tax on gasoline. this tax was touted as a roads tax.. people overwhelming said yes.

Skip forward a few decades and it's discovered this money wasn't fenced it went and still goes into the genreral fund--which pays for numerous things. for the last few years they have wanted to raise this tax without fencing it soley for roads/bridges.. now the gov't is claiming shortfalls from genereal revenues and other sources 'cause we've said NO.

I think it's time every agency wakes up and starts looking at the way they budget. It's budget methodology reforms that we need-- not more money...and i really doubt that many spending cuts would be necesary if we tracked where our money was spent. I know if we in the US gov had a methodology to save money we would.
:agree:
Same here in IN. We pay increased "gas taxes" for road care. Now they want to tax mileage too? **** them! Just try to monitor how many miles I drive. :devil:

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
I would prefer to see the billions upon hundreds of billions of dollars we pay in City, state and fuel taxes, be mandated for the purpose they were introduced... same with the 5 cents here and 3 cents there. If we are to be taxed for roads... every damn penny of that tax should go for it's proposed project. Free and competitive bidding. No prevailing wage. The roads can wait another couple of years... the vast majority, anyway.

A VAT or mileage tax would bring any hope of recovery to a screeching halt. $4 a gallon is already limiting the distance we travel for projects, as the price of fuel has to figured in to our bids. It's that high. If I have a job that is 2 hours away and I have to spend $100 a day in fuel x 5 to 7 days to finish that job... my bid will already be 5 to $700 dollars more then the guy living closer to the job. Not to mention what it does to my employee's paychecks, having to supply their own gas.

Our government has spent wildly on virtually everything but what the tax was intended for. That's enough, now. Time for them to do with what they have already robbed from us. Time for us to start picking our leaders better.
Not to get too far off topic...but have you ever thought of getting a motor home for your guys. You could take the motor home to the project and park it and get the project done even faster and be even more competative than someone close by since I am sure all of his guys are not near by. The motor home would be a tax write off too, and you could use it for vacations too. Just a suggestion to your problem...I am always thinking of how to beat my competition. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
9,760 Posts

:agree::agree: this is the biggest problem with government today...they are always raiding every dedicated fund they can get their hands on. They have raided Social security so now Social Security is a problem....well it wouldn't be if the fund hadn't been raided. The same goes for our transprotation taxes. As you say...fence in all funds collected by fuel taxes and vehicle registrationsand let those taxes be used only for a prioritised list of 1.bridge repair and replacement 2. Road improvement 3. New roads 4. other transportation 5. management of those projects, collection and disbursement of funds, and staff for all transportation agencies.

# 5 should be no more than 5% of the total amount.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We don't need the government looking for new revenue, we the the people to be looking to put this genie known as the federal government back in the damn bottle. There is no way to raise the revenue in this country, to support the spending habits of the leviathan.

Sorry, you could confiscate everything, everyone owns and still not even pay the debt already owed.. unless this government is put back into the confines of the constitution.. we are ****ed. And hell, I personally think we already are..

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Horrible idea.

1. We already tax gas, which is used by driving miles. So, this would be double taxation.
2. It would wipe out the efficient vehicle incentive.
3. Truckers might have to raise rates.
4. Government might up the mileage tax deduction, which would reduce the burden on businesses, but NOT families.

Screw that. Worst idea ever... Recently.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Anywhere there is a government there is this problem. We all, no matter what country are paying more for less. Government at every level wants more money so they can do less.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Anywhere there is a government there is this problem. We all, no matter what country are paying more for less. Government at every level wants more money so they can do less.
Agreed. They keep on spending more and more on foreign endeavours of some variety or another. Money out of the borders is unaccountable and expensive!

:down:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Not to get too far off topic...but have you ever thought of getting a motor home for your guys. You could take the motor home to the project and park it and get the project done even faster and be even more competitive than someone close by since I am sure all of his guys are not near by. The motor home would be a tax write off too, and you could use it for vacations too. Just a suggestion to your problem...I am always thinking of how to beat my competition. :thumbsup:
Yeah, we used to have a TPD toy hauler that doubled as sleeping quarters for out of town jobs that we would tow behind one of the work vans. The crash put an end to all that.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
Yeah, we used to have a TPD toy hauler that doubled as sleeping quarters for out of town jobs that we would tow behind one of the work vans. The crash put an end to all that.
If you mean that you crashed it...then use the insurance money to get a new one...If you mean that the economic crash caused you to get rid of it, I would think that is a bad move. In hard economic times you gotta go the extra mile, and in this case literaly. If your local market shrinks this trailer could be used to expand your market, just the thing you need in a down market. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
There was no market, brother. There still isn't. We're just trading dollars. The market is ****. We have had 14 paint stores close down in the area. My sales went from 150k -200k a month, to 15k a month. My biggest account went from 112 employees to 6.

Trailer... or food ?

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
There was no market, brother. There still isn't. We're just trading dollars. The market is ****. We have had 14 paint stores close down in the area. My sales went from 150k -200k a month, to 15k a month. My biggest account went from 112 employees to 6.

Trailer... or food ?
Perhaps if you went out and worked instead of flooding this site with news stories against the left all the time, your business would do better. (jK):rolling::rolling:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts