Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I decided that i want a set of CCW SP500's for my black 04 Z. The only problem is...the cheapest i have found them is $2600 for a set. That just seems a little rediculous to me.....So i need advice. Is there anywhere i can find these wheels cheaper? Are there any other brands that make a similar design? Keep in mind i like a very simple wheel. Has to be chrome(shiny and looks like chrome)....probably has to be a 5 spoke. Any advice on other types of wheels that you guys hae or have seen? Post pictures if you can. I am getting new wheels and tires when my factory tires wear out. At the rate im going...it wont be long. My back tires generally have a short lifespan. Haha. Thanks for any help and advice.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
If you want to play you have to pay... Welcome to the Corvette tax.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not for a set of polished 5 spoke wheels you dont.....welcome to common sense....they wouldnt have the "corvette tax" because its not a wheel just for corvettes....its just a wheel that fits a 5 bolt chevy pattern.....anybody else with some pictures of other wheels or a place where you can buy the CCW's at a more reasonable price?

·
Registered
414 Posts
not for a set of polished 5 spoke wheels you dont.....welcome to common sense....they wouldnt have the "corvette tax" because its not a wheel just for corvettes....its just a wheel that fits a 5 bolt chevy pattern.....anybody else with some pictures of other wheels or a place where you can buy the CCW's at a more reasonable price?
As iburke said, Pay to Play. I have been saving for my CCWs since February of 2007. I will also buy rubber at that time. I looked myself for something that looked as good with the quality and all I found were wheels that were even more expensive than CCW's.

If ya want them bad enough you will get them, just have a little patience, work plenty of overtime, and maybe beg the wife to loan you a few grand. :laughing:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,908 Posts
Unfortunately, wheels like this, Fiskes, HRE's, etc ARE expensive and they are worth it or people wouldn't pay that for them. You probably won't be seeing them cheaper unless you find a used set.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Actually comparatively speaking CCW wheels are a very good buy. Their wheels are much less than others of the same size, type and build. $600.00 per wheel is not expensive for a forged CNC machined wheel.

Plan on spending close to $4000.00 for new wheels with tires or look in the for sale sections of the different Corvette forums for a "fire" sale. Good deals come up often but they don't last very long.

-RR

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
:agree: with every one above me

you wont find the ccw brand cheaper at any specific place trust me i looked for months and just ended up buying them direct from ccw

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have discovered that you are going to pay at least 2400 for a set of nice Corvette wheels. I will continue to run my 800 dollar set of chrome ZO6s untill I can afford some CCWs or SSRs.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welp looks like im gonna have to bit the bullet and pay up for them.:thud: .....whenever its time to get them ill be sure to post pictures for everyone...thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have been doing a lot of research on wheels lately.

I plan to go with the SP500's because they are cheap (in $) compared to Fikse, Kinesis, HRE, IForged etc...etc.... I have no desire to pay $1000-1300 per wheel either. The SP500's are $650 and for 19" wheels are a good deal. You can't get a quality, good looking wheel any cheaper. Made in USA too :thumbsup:

I also found out that all the wheels I like from the above mentioned vendors are quite a bit heavier than the CCW's (25-28lbs each !!!! )(Thats 5-8 lbs more per wheel compared to stock Z06 wheels... or 20lbs-36lbs more rotating mass!:down: ). If you ever put on a wheel heavier than the wheels you have now it will make your stomoch turn at the performance you lost. If you go cheap to a "CHINA" made wheel you will also find they are HEAVY and you will loose performance.

My advice.... keep the stockers you have if you can not get the CCW's.

The CCW SP500 wheel is very light
18.9.5" = 20.0 lbs
19x9.5" = 21.5 lbs
19x11" = 23.5 lbs

Stock Z06 wheels
01 ZO6 17x 9.5 19.6 lbs.
01 ZO6 18x10.5 21.4 lbs.
02 Z06 17x 9.5 19.2 lbs.
02 Z06 18x10.5 21.0 lbs.

Toque

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good points for sure but let me add some more points of clarification.

I also found out that all the wheels I like from the above mentioned vendors are quite a bit heavier than the CCW's (25-28lbs each !!!! )
To be accurate, you have to compare "apples to apples"; you should only make the comparison with the CCW SP500's and similar wheels from those vendors. For example, the CCW SP20's weigh more than my O.Z. Superleggera's in the same 19" size (26 lbs vs 27 lbs). The weight differential is the same for the front fitment too.

FWIW, generally speaking multi-spoked wheels weigh more than "star" thin spoke patterned wheels like the SP500s. For instance, although not as wide as the C5 thin spoke wheels, they still weigh even less than the Z06 wheels.

-RR

·
Registered
720 Posts
Get HRE.'s instead,then you can start crying! :laughing: :D

Better yet go for a set of these CF wheels. :thud:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts