Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
I would suggest coated. They tend to keep the heat out of the engine compartment and in the exhaust, I dorve my vette for a year without non-coated headers, it was really hot under the hood before I coated them.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The coating definitely helps...but it does not last.

Mine we're re-done twice...they're now a bit white. The collector area has some rust as well.

Even my friends car with only 9000 miles on the engine has turned the coating white and has a little rust forming around the collector area.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I have more than 30,000 miles on my Jet Hot coating and it's still a-ok.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok one question now that a bunch of you with headers is here... How involved(man hours) is it to install a set of headers on an LT1? I got an outrageous estimate on an install, so I wasn't sure what was realistic!!

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Jay 383 said:
Even my friends car with only 9000 miles on the engine has turned the coating white and has a little rust forming around the collector area.
I believe that. Here's mine after 5k miles. :(

I like the sound of that jet-hot stuff. :thumbsup:

jbaker666,

look for a mechanic w/ skinny arms and small hands. That'll be the one that'll get it done quicker. :laughing:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jet Hot FOR SURE, inside and out when you have your headers coated. I was Sales Mgr. at D&D Performance Exhaust for several years and we used them and their product DOES disapate heat BIG TIME my 1998 ZX9 Ninja has Jet Hot on the exhaust and you can touch the pipes soon after you shut down, try that with the stock exhaust and you WILL burn your hand. I do have to use some Semi-Chrome polish on the finish every six months so it stays looking like new.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased a new set of the Hooker shorties about 3 yrs ago and took both stock manifolds off my Vette and attempted to install the headers. After much effort, I laid the stock gasket over the new header flange and discovered that the end flange bolt holes were almost one bolt diameter off.
Just a word of advice, check everything the best you can before getting too far into the project.
I returned them and bought the SLP's (409 alloy), they fit fine but looked bad after 2 years. I had them Jet Hot coated and so far they look great. Seems that the 409 stainless will rust.
Do your self a favor, buy coated if you can.
I did the install in 4 hours, but I had practice with the faulty Hookers.

Best of luck

Gordon

·
Registered
351 Posts
War Machine said:
I believe that. Here's mine after 5k miles. :(

Hey War, do you know who coated your headers? Thanks, Denver

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
War Machine said:
-=Jeff=-,

That HPC looks impressive. How long have you had the coating and how is it holding up?

Everyone check out this site: HPC

They offer 6 different colors! :smokin:
I had the Headers Coated in 2001 and are holding up well. Nickd (vettn94) had a set on his old Camaro for 5 years without any trouble.

When I got mine done I believe it was a 3 year full warranty if they needed to be refinished then after that is was 1/2 the original cost to have them redone and it is for the LIFE of the headers.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for the link War, and info =Jeff=. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My car has a small anti-freeze leak from the water pump. I looked at the headers last night? ICK!! All rusty.

Too bad it doesn't hold up...but it does help.

I 'spose if you drive the car ONLY on sunny days and have the engine tuned, the coating should last longer that way.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts