Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Supporting Dealer
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Subject: Change in the GM Nav Disc Update Program

Models: All 2008 models with factory-installed, in-vehicle navigation -- either standard or optional (Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS, XLR, Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV – Hummer H2 and H3 – Buick Lucerne and Enclave – Pontiac Grand Prix and Torrent – Saturn Outlook and Relay – GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Envoy, and Acadia – Chevy Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Trailblazer, Equinox, Uplander, and Corvette)

The program previously included two free DVD map updates for customers who purchased a GM vehicle with a factory navigation system, installed when the vehicle was built.

The program has been modified for the 2008 model year and beyond. Free DVD map updates are no longer included. This does not affect the original DVD map disc which is provided with the new vehicle. This also does not affect the owners of 2006 and 2007 model year vehicles with factory in-vehicle navigation. Those owners are still eligible to obtain a free update or updates.

DVD map updates will continue to be offered by the GM Nav Disc Center. The data on the DVD map disc ages at a rate of 15-20% per year. As the data ages, the functionality of the navigation system declines. The DVD map updates are available annually at the beginning of the new model year.

The GM Nav Disc Center can be contacted for both disc orders or for assistance with nav system operation. Order discs via the website, www.gmnavdisc.com, or by phone, 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472). Contact information for the Center is also included in the Navigation Owner's Manual Supplement (in the glovebox) and on the face of the DVD disc included with the new vehicle

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
So since mine is an '06 model I can get a free upgrade DVD?

·
Registered
256 Posts
So since mine is an '06 model I can get a free upgrade DVD?
You're so lucky you get 2 free update DVDs! It says so right on your window sticker! I already received one of mine. That sucks for 2008 and newer products, but GM is feeling the cost cutting pinch again!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sucks for the 2005 owners too, and mine has an 06 NAV system in it from the factory.

Looks like GM has programmed the disc to purposely be useless in 5 years. That also means almost half the data will be useless in 2 years.

Looks like it may be time to rip out the factory NAV and get a better stereo/NAV system.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'd be satisfied if they just give us our two free ones every third year. My 07 doesn't have roads on it that have been done for 3 years so we don't need one every year anyway. Too bad we can't just download updates and install them somehow. :surprised

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sucks for the 2005 owners too, and mine has an 06 NAV system in it from the factory.

Looks like GM has programmed the disc to purposely be useless in 5 years. That also means almost half the data will be useless in 2 years.

Looks like it may be time to rip out the factory NAV and get a better stereo/NAV system.
There is no such programming. It is just the new roads or changes that obviously cannot be found in an old dvd nav database.
That means if nothing changed since 2006 in the area you are traveling the nav will be good for unlimited time.
:cheers:

·
Registered
291 Posts
There is no such programming. It is just the new roads or changes that obviously cannot be found in an old dvd nav database.
That means if nothing changed since 2006 in the area you are traveling the nav will be good for unlimited time.
I was referring to the statement "The data on the DVD map disc ages at a rate of 15-20% per year. As the data ages, the functionality of the navigation system declines."

If their not referring to programming then the data won't age, it will just be missing newer information. The roads around my hometown don't have enough room to grow by 15-20% a year unless they start stacking the roads.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have not used this Chevy NAV system yet, Car is due here this Sat. but if it is like my Garmin what really ages is the information about Resturants and Way point. There may not be roads in your area that changes that much, but around this nation that are continually building and changing roads. I have to upgrade my Garmin every two years and it cost about the same as Chevy is asking. When you don't know where you are, exactly and your driving through Chicago and you hit the "take me to it" button you want all the roads to be correct--Livy

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was referring to the statement "The data on the DVD map disc ages at a rate of 15-20% per year. As the data ages, the functionality of the navigation system declines."

If their not referring to programming then the data won't age, it will just be missing newer information. The roads around my hometown don't have enough room to grow by 15-20% a year unless they start stacking the roads.
Data always age... like anything that is on this world.

Nav dvd contains many info besides the roads layout, for example one way and other restrictions, restaurants, gas stations, etc.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rick,

As usual, you are the man. I was needing the Nav update information and magically it was there. :laughing:

Thanks once again for the great info.

·
Registered
67 Posts
nav update

For anyone that has gotten the update, is it a disc you need to keep in the dvd navigation system or just something you load on and dont need the disc again? I am wondering because I have an '05 and didnt get any updates, and I was trying to drive from Greenville, NC to Raleigh and one of the biggest interstates on that route was built 2 years ago and isnt even on my Nav!! So I was wondering could someome just get an update and pass it on to other people or burn it with a dvd burner for other people?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If GM would get off their ass and include a hard drive in these units like in the Caddi CTS (40 gig for music), they could just schedule a routine maintenance and navigation DOWNLOAD at the dealer. Or better yet, take your laptop out to your garage, hook up a USB cable, and download the update from Chevy.com.

Why is this so hard?

·
Registered
20 Posts
While you're correct that the DVD is just a few cents, what you are paying for is the work that goes into getting all the map and other data, putting it into the form the nav system needs, etc.

So unless someone can come up with another model to pay for that, it's never going to be a free download from the net, the dealer or anything else.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
While you're correct that the DVD is just a few cents, what you are paying for is the work that goes into getting all the map and other data, putting it into the form the nav system needs, etc.

So unless someone can come up with another model to pay for that, it's never going to be a free download from the net, the dealer or anything else.
If I'm not mistaken, GM uses the same Denso unit that several other automakers use so it's not like GM is the one investing all the money into updating their maps. Either way, they should be migrating away from all these bumbling disk versions. Onstar can download directions to your radio...and that's for 10 bucks a month. Last time I checked that is far far cheaper than an updated Nav disk...

·
Registered
405 Posts
GM is really getting chicken **** with such an inexpensive item. It doesn't apply to my '07 but they should find another way to pay for the HUGE bonus' they give the executives. It is bad enough they put plain-jane floor mats in a terrific car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts