Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just seems like to much work to reinstall the water pump on an '84 vette.....I bought the FlowKooler pump....but have yet to install it.....
after looking thru the manual, I think I'll leave it to a pro.....
at least at my age...there was a time...............I'm just a real Puss......
tony
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thought I had to change the pump on my 89. Got lucky and did not have to make the change. Looks downright ugly with the pitiful clearances in there. Not enough room to change your mind. :laughing:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope I can give some helpful advice?
I changed mine out, 84-sat for 13 years without running or moving 28,000miles...
First thing to do is jack car up as high as you can.
Then remove front wheels, step-right-in ..... ( easier on the old back!)
then start cussing ......... really it wasn't too bad except, I found that deep sockets weren't sometimes deep enough, for some of the studs? crows foot wrenches were used then.
OH !!!! forgot to say..... take lots of pictures from all angles! easier to remember & re-assemble.
Drain anti-freeze, save out of the way - Seemed like everything came off the front of engine.. alternator - brackets, a/c - brackets, a/c canistor and hoses, power steering pump - brackets, wiring harnes's were a,
pain in the _ _ _ ! I found metric and SAE nuts & bolts? I also changed out T-stat and hoses & belt, while I was there and the anti-freeze was flushed and replaced.
GOOD LUCK !!
PS took me about 2 week to complete, while still holding down a full time job.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The waterpump on our corvette takes 2.4 hours to remove and replace according to the labor book and so that means if you are good with tools it should take about an hour and 15 to an hour and 30 min. I did mine and had no problems and where you cant get a socket you use a box end or open end wrench worked fine make sure you use pb blaster on the studs this will help spray them the day before and spray them about 2 hours prior to disassembly, then use awire wheel on a bench grinder to clean all the threads off and you should be fine. Its not as hard as it seems its just tedious work.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Just replaced the water pump on my '85, took 5 hrs, but that included a trip to town for misc. parts and fishing a small bolt outta the fender. It's actually pretty easy once you've done it and realize what you have to move and what not to move.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts