Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a vibration at 55 and not higher speeds. Thought it was the drive shaft or the wheel balance. NOT! I was cleaning the wheels on the 79 and thought, check the bearings for play in them. Sure enuf the passengers side is movable left and right. The drivers side is not. I bought a set of racer bearings for it. Should I just tighten the nut on the spindel or change the racers?

Changin the racers means taking the calipers off and re bleeeding the brakes does it not?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,450 Posts
Change the races with the bearings or you may get premature bearing failure. When removing the calipers, hang them with a coat hanger or other wire to keep them out of the way. It is not necessary to remove them, just don't let them hang by the brake line

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Torch, how ya been man? The point is I will have to re bleed the system will I not with the calipers removed from the rotor disc? And I am sure the calipers must come off to take out the rear bearings. Hate doing a re bleed for the brakes but it is mabey best. The fluid has been in there for over a year now. I have self bleeders so it is no problem. I have a mity vac also.

Second question. How hard is it to change the rear ones? Or should I not asked that question?

I also have new rubber lines for the front calipers but did not change them when I changed all four brakes pads and calipers. Have this thing about not wanting to break off the connection in the proportional valve. The back ones were easy to change but the front ones look like someone wrenched the heads off on one side. Ticked me off when I saw that. Even bought a front crossover and while installing the front brakes there came a voice " Do you really need to change that right now"? That proportional valve is not cheap to change. Was wandering if the new ones with the adjusting knob on them is the way to go since a stock brake system is like 80 percent front and 20 percent rear.

Just do not want to let that bearing get bad to where it makes me park her. Spindles are not cheap either. Monday morning blues.......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts