Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Just wondering if there is a secret process to replacing the spark plugs on a 1990 L98 (especially on the right side) Or do you just take off all parts necessary? Would taking off the wheel well guard (cover) be of any help? Thanks >:huh:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes taking the wheel guard cover off would help. I have been changing mine without doing that though. I can reach in OK. Becareful not to break a plug with the wrench though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, I wasn't looking forward to changing the plugs especially the right side, but now things look a lot clearer :thumbsup:
I thank you and my knuckles thank you

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Install headers!! They make the job much easier.:laughing:

What I always did on the right side was use a few long extentions with a swivel to get at plug #4 the rachet would be in the wheel well area. That was the only "hard" one for me. On #8 it's easier from the bottom.:thumbsup:

·
C4 Interior King
148 Posts
With later L98 C4's the engine bay is much more cramped that with the earlier cars. With my '91 no amount of extensions and swivels make the job easy. The AC pump with its hard lines is right there blocking access to the one plug.

But, I hear its even worse with LT1 cars - lucky us! ;)

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Changing the plugs on an LT engine isn't bad, it's changing the wires on them that's a NIGHTMARE!! :thud: You have to remove most of the accessories and brackets on the driver side to get it done. And the damn screws from the ASR unit will scratch your hands up like you got into a fight w/ a bobcat. Ahhh the memories. :laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
With later L98 C4's the engine bay is much more cramped that with the earlier cars. With my '91 no amount of extensions and swivels make the job easy. The AC pump with its hard lines is right there blocking access to the one plug.

If your AC compressor is anything like my dad's (he has an 88) I feel your pain. We just did a head and cam swap on his car and the worst part of the job was dealing with that damn compressor. I don't know why GM made the compressor so big and made the bracket so cumbersome. It's a non factor on my 87.
Yes the LT-1 guys have it real bad.:laughing:

·
Registered
165 Posts
That number 8 plug is a bear. I made an adapter for my 1/2" drive spark plug socket using a piece of 1/2" square tubing, about 3/4" long. Now I can put a 1/2" end wrench on that stub and turn my spark plug socket easily!

:buhbye: S.T.W.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's just a short piece of 1/2" square steel tubing. Insert the tube into the top of your 1/2" drive spark plug socket wrench, and then you can turn the socket by putting a 1/2" open end wrench on the square tube. That's about all the room you have for removing the #8 spark plug, since the air conditioner enclosure is so close to the head.

If the tube is loose in the top of the socket wrench, put a little tape around the tube before inserting it into the socket wrench.

:buhbye:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts