Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking to my nephew, he suggested in changing the gear ratio in the rear end to 3:73s or 4:11's what do u suggest and why? Please give any advice thanks

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Speaking to my nephew, he suggested in changing the gear ratio in the rear end to 3:73s or 4:11's what do u suggest and why? Please give any advice thanks
Before deciding to change gears a few things is a must to know about your car , is it an A6 or MN6, is it a Z51 or regular C6, is it a Z06 and alot need to take into consideration before knowing exactly which gears will be appropiate for you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before deciding to change gears a few things is a must to know about your car , is it an A6 or MN6, is it a Z51 or regular C6, is it a Z06 and alot need to take into consideration before knowing exactly which gears will be appropiate for you.:thumbsup:
I'm sorry....its a Z51 08 i had some bolt on added so its pushing 418hp to the back wheels.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I'm sorry....its a Z51 08 i had some bolt on added so its pushing 418hp to the back wheels.
What do you want to achieve from changing the rear end gear? Do you drag race the car? Road race? Weekend warrior ?

These will help too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you want to achieve from changing the rear end gear? Do you drag race the car? Road race? Weekend warrior ?

These will help too :thumbsup:
To be honest im just one of the weekend warriors who loves to see what the car can do at times....My nephew told me that 3:73s would be good because its not that much shifting envolved compared to 4:10s He told me i will have much more torque ...what do u think?

·
Registered
328 Posts
3.90's would be the highest I would recommend for a Z51 car, 3.73's is nice, but close enough to the stock 3.42's to not really make it worth IMO unless you had specific build needs for them.

good luck with it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3.90's would be the highest I would recommend for a Z51 car, 3.73's is nice, but close enough to the stock 3.42's to not really make it worth IMO unless you had specific build needs for them.

good luck with it.
So u think the 3.90s would be good....to be honest i'm confused why more people dont do this.....I really appreciate the advice, i will look more into it and do something....thanks again

·
Registered
44 Posts
So u think the 3.90s would be good....to be honest i'm confused why more people dont do this.....I really appreciate the advice, i will look more into it and do something....thanks again
I was interested in doing this with my earlier C6.

Checking here and there? It's not just a ring & pinion swap.

Most shops want to swap out your rear end housing for one that they have in stock and already set up. ( Core Exchange )

It's up to you. Have the shop remove half your drivetrain and then replace it with one from another C6?

If it were just four - six hours of labor and a ring&pinion swap, I would have already done it. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was thinking the same thing since my stock gears are the 2.76's (not sure if that is the right gear ratio). Having put 4.30's in my 08 Mustang GT I really don't mind going with the gear change especially with a 6th gear.

·
Registered
383 Posts

good luck with it.
Now he tells me.......

Gotta say I love my 4.10's, even with the supercharger. However, I would listen to Doug. 3.90's would be a pretty stout street car with bolt ons. My car with bolt ons and 4.10's was good for 11.70s at 122/123.

Get the gears and don't look back

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now he tells me.......

Gotta say I love my 4.10's, even with the supercharger. However, I would listen to Doug. 3.90's would be a pretty stout street car with bolt ons. My car with bolt ons and 4.10's was good for 11.70s at 122/123.

Get the gears and don't look back
I think your right i will look forward in having this done....Do u know about how much something like this goes for

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think your right i will look forward in having this done....Do u know about how much something like this goes for
I don't recall what it cost just for the swap because I did other stuff at the same time (hardened output shaft, transmission brace, etc). ECS did some really nice work on my car and, as I can attest, the work they did withstands my abuse (and that is saying something).

Where are you located? Call a reputable shop in your area with Corvette experience and get some pricing. Find out if they swap carriers or actually do the swap in your carrier (which is what you want). Definitely do the hardened output shaft while you are there (a couple of hundred dollars and well worth the "insurance" and peace of mind). For pricing, you could look at various websites to get an idea of cost (ECS, HPS, VD to name a few).

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Gear swaps depends on many factors such as driving preference and overall future endevors in mods. Other considerations to remember is the frequency of gear shifts, some folks don't like to shift that often and that hold's true once you use numerically bigger gears.
I personally love shifting gears therefore for me it's no issue. That being said I have used 4.10 gears on my application for about 5 years and would never change gears. Over the years the power output on my 05 c6 LS2 has netted anywhere from 400 to 500rwhp. I currently have 453rwhp and with sticky tires ( MT'S DRAG RADIALS) I have surprised many higher horsepowered applications due to gears. 3.73 gears for the street on a 400 to 500rwhp setup is a waste of money, 3.90 gears are fine but I would go with 4.10's. BTW, I have a Z-51 tranny and I still love the 4.10 gears. :thumbsup: I have gone 170mph in 5th gear at 6,400rpm and 185mph in 6th.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Gear swaps depends on many factors such as driving preference and overall future endevors in mods. Other considerations to remember is the frequency of gear shifs, some folks don't like to shift that often and that hold's true once you use numerically bigger gears.
I personally love shifting gears therefore for me it's no issue. That being said I have used 4.10 gears on my application for about 5 years and would never change gears. Over the years the power output on my 05 c6 LS2 has netted anywhere from 400 to 500rwhp. I currently have 453rwhp and with sticky tires ( MT'S DRAG RADIALS) I have surprised many higher horsepowered applications due to gears. 3.73 gears for the street on a 400 to 500rwhp setup is a waste of money, 3.90 gears are fine but I would go with 4.10's. BTW, I have a Z-51 tranny and I still love the 4.10 gears. :thumbsup: I have gone 170mph in 5th gear at 6,400rpm and 185mph in 6th.

Who have you raced and who did you ever win a race towards?, 410 is a waste of time on most application, but as usual, the ones who knows the least try to advice people, your car is slow and is not a living example to anyone.. 3.90 or 3.73 is the best gears for a Z51 car because of the gear ratio in the transmission, first gear is a very steep gear which is a 2.97 and it makes it difficult to make use of first gear with higher gears.
I also knew a friend who had 410 and regretted he ever did that, he did changed it to 3.90 , but I never heard from him to know the out come, I had 3.73 on a Z51 and went 10.20et @140mph.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I don't recall what it cost just for the swap because I did other stuff at the same time (hardened output shaft, transmission brace, etc). ECS did some really nice work on my car and, as I can attest, the work they did withstands my abuse (and that is saying something).

Where are you located? Call a reputable shop in your area with Corvette experience and get some pricing. Find out if they swap carriers or actually do the swap in your carrier (which is what you want). Definitely do the hardened output shaft while you are there (a couple of hundred dollars and well worth the "insurance" and peace of mind). For pricing, you could look at various websites to get an idea of cost (ECS, HPS, VD to name a few).
application and replace it with a set of 3.90 or a set of 3.73 with a C6 Z06 transmission, I had the same 3.73 gears with my Supercharger and ran a 10.20 @140 mph but had to change it when I made 860rwhp, too much gears for the power as a MN6.

As a supercharger car you can easily sell your 410 to a NA

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
There are many examples of people running 4.10's with over 500rwhp.. Here is a Corvette racer with 4.10's that did 10.58 with these mods... Don't fear the gear>>>

# About dsp300c

Year & Model
2007 C6
Color
Victory Red
Mods
Callaway Honker | Ported TB | EWP | 100mm MAF | Vengeance Ported FAST 92mm | LG G6x3 cam | Trick Flow 225's milled to 62cc | LG Pro Z06 Headers | Z06 Bullets | WCC lowering bolts | VR calipers | GS fender stripe | Black C6 wheels | MGW Shifter | RPM Stage III 4.10's | Mcleod Twin Street with Aluminu

# Signature

'07 VR C6

526/478 thru 4.10's
10.58 @ 131.43

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Some people talk a lot of nonsense based on what they hear, here is the same guy as the above video with 4.10's on juice doing 9.74>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
383 Posts
application and replace it with a set of 3.90 or a set of 3.73 with a C6 Z06 transmission, I had the same 3.73 gears with my Supercharger and ran a 10.20 @140 mph but had to change it when I made 860rwhp, too much gears for the power as a MN6.

As a supercharger car you can easily sell your 410 to a NA
Thanks for the advice but I happen to be happy with the current setup. It pulls like a mother in all gears, including 6th. I really don't need to do anything else to the car for its current use and intended purpose. If I decide to build my car for the mile (which I am still considering), then I will make some changes.

As for your comments towards CAM, WTF?!? If I applied your attitude towards CAM to your comments towards me (and if I wanted to be the asshole), why should I take your advice? At the end of the day, you are just a consumer that thinks he knows more than he actually does. Before you say the same about me, be mindful of the fact that I used to own a performance/detailing/customization business and I decided to stop working on cars for a living and become a lawyer. In the end, if you have a different opinion, feel free to voice it but don't personally attack someone in the process. And please, make sense with your posts - yours seems to be an incomplete thought.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
:buhbye: Cam

:buhbye: Mario

:buhbye: Ira

WTF this place turned into a news room

Give'm hell Ira :laughing:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts