Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still chasing a strange gremlin on my '85. Of course the stock distributor is the only main piece I reused in my engine swap, but no worries.

Two days back, fired it up and after a minute of warming up I hear a grinding noise coming from the distributor cap. Upon taking things apart, I found the rotor off its 2-bolt brace and some scratches inside the cap (from the rotor). I inspected the distributor shaft and it seemed to spin smooth as normal. I reinstalled everything, retightened the rotor, reset my timing and fired it up. But same story, idled great for a minute then the grinding/clunking noises return.

Not sure if the rotor is just backing out, or the shaft is experiencing some issues causing it to catch and jolt the rotor. Strange thing is other than the noise, the engine's idle doesn't appear disturbed. I've researched some of other posts where folks posted about symptoms they had, but nothing specific standing out here other than the loose rotor.

Time to take the cap off again and see where I am. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
When you put the rotor back on use some locktite that will help keep the bolts from backing out.:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts