Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cheap way to lower a C4? REVIVED-NEED HELP

I'm not looking for performance here guys, just trying to get the car to look ZR1ish...wanting to replace the sawblades with chrome ZR1 wheels as well. What is the cheapest (in a safe way) to lower my C4?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well you really don't need to buy anything to lower it. For the front, cut off the stock rubber but leave just a little. No need for gluing a new part on. For the rear take the metal shims out of the top and swap them to the bottom. Then turn the nuts down on the spring end bolts.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well you really don't need to buy anything to lower it. For the front, cut off the stock rubber but leave just a little. No need for gluing a new part on. For the rear take the metal shims out of the top and swap them to the bottom. Then turn the nuts down on the spring end bolts.
Exactly! I lowered my car about 2" without spending a dime. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to both of you guys!!! Awesome!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
just a question gentlemen, I,m well aware that lowering the car and adding a few suspension components and better tires can improve handling, but from what I see 90% of the lower corvettes skip the additional enhanced suspension components and about 60% or more skip adding significantly better tires, so if your not doing whats required to really improve the handling significantly, lowering the car effectively gives you a bit more of that (RACER STANCE" and a good deal more chance of speed bumps and higher than ideal manhole covers to radically and almost instantly do massive lower oil pan and transmission damage and not much else?
so if your not racing the car why bother, its not like the stock suspensions that bad for street car use?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Many people do things to their cars just to make it look better.

I lowered mine to get less air under it, the nose really felt light at high speed. I could really notice it in the kink at Road America.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reviving this thread a little in search of some help. I just jacked my '94 up and got the drivers side tire off to take a look at the job ahead. Guys, I hope someone can answer this...from what I see, the spring has the two brackets holding it on...problem is, on my car, the rubber on top of the spring (spring to body) seems to only be about 1/2" thick. Rubber on bottom (spring to bracket) is only about 1/4" thick. Seems like a lot of you guys are cutting like an inch of rubber out, and my car just doesn't have that. I'm 100% positive the car has never been lowered (see pics, the fender gap is horrible) so I'm just wondering if the newer LT1 cars are different than what some of you have posted? Thanks for any help you can be!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts