Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, was wondering what mods it would take to increase the top speed of a pre 08 c6 from 186Mph to 200mph and still leave the engine naturally aspirated. The varam intake is supposed to add 8-10mph to the cars top speed but I don't know if that has been verified. would a set of headers a corsa exhaust and a superchip add that 4-6 mph or would more mods have to be made. I'm hoping that it wouldn't mean 1000's more spent past those mods. I am eventually planning on getting a c6 and was thinking of doing this.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well, you already touched on one mod that will assist significantly and that is a ram-air intake. There is a (relatively) exponential gain from Ram-Air the faster you go, so if you are looking for pure top speed, then yes, a Vararam will help. Keep in mind though that these intakes aren't as great for daily driving, I believe you have to reach 40 MPH to see an effect (correct me if I'm wrong, this assumption is based solely on what others have posted).

The Corsa exhaust won't have much of an effect, Cat-Backs are great for sound, but give minimal power.

Headers will help, my suggestion would be to get an LG Header with Borla Stinger Cat-Back. The two components work well together as they are both Borla made.

Lastly, a tune is crucial to this, preferably one that bumps the redline up slightly and gives a bit of a richer mixture.

A bonus to get you there would be to add some octane boost to your fuel for a one-time run. I wouldn't recommend using too high of an octane on a regular basis because of the heat-stress it adds to the engine as well as throwing off the compression ratio a bit.

So, with a Ram-Air, Full Exhaust, Tune, and a little octane boost, you should be able to crack 200 with a slight tail wind:thumbsup:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Forgot to mention that all of the above should run you a little over $3000 if you shop around enough

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
why would you want to go 200 mph

are you going to the salt flats

·
Registered
939 Posts
I hear I-70 through central Kansas is great for a top-speed run:laughing:

Nothing better than outrunning crop dusters

(Not that I tried said run on a certain road trip from Denver to Cincinnati:D )

·
Registered
347 Posts
I hear I-70 through central Kansas is great for a top-speed run:laughing:

Nothing better than outrunning crop dusters

(Not that I tried said run on a certain road trip from Denver to Cincinnati:D )
Kansas, haha. Come down here to Tampa, we've got the Sunshine Skyway that HAS to be patrolled by FHP Choppers because their is no stops on the bridge or run offs.

Then we have the Gandy Bridge, cops always swarming it 10pm-4am nightly because of guys doing top speed races.

About ''cheap mods'', you pay for what you get. You lay down no money for a part, you don't get a decent part. Shop around and ask around, see what fits your budget and tastes.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Intake, headers, tune, gears and 205 is possible in a 1SX 05. Seen it done:thumbsup:

He polished his stock intake himself. That was on pavement at an airstrip. He made a deal to make the run and if he lived he would take the 10days in the brig. His bud filmed it and I watched it in College station at a track day.

:cheers:

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Don't forget the tune to remove any computer nannies that may limit speed. 200mph shouldn't be a problem, cleaning your pants afterwards will be if you're not ready mentally to see those numbers and realize that aircraft can take flight at slower speeds.......and they're much heavier than a vette. The C6's drag co-effecient is actually better than the Z's, so all in all, with a few little mods, a five point harness and tune, I'd go for it, if you're in a safe, controlled enviroment. Merging traffic is not what you want to see at 150+MPH.....

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
I'll have the Z51 C6 "balls to the walls" in early August on the salt flats. I mention Z51 because of the different rear gear, not because it's cool. LOL.

We'll see how she pulls at 3900 feet elevation... thin air... not good for HP.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Can't wait for the blue painter's tape and the sand/salt blasted "textured" windshield. Sounds like fun, we really need some salt flats down here in the south.Don't forget the brain basket and GPS.:cheers:

·
Registered
939 Posts
We'll see how she pulls at 3900 feet elevation... thin air... not good for HP.
That is SOOO true... I drove my C6 at the Air Force Academy for a few weeks "7280 Feet above sea level, far, far above that of West Point or Anapolis" for you zoomies out there:laughing:

Brought her down to about 500 feet above sea level here in Cincinnati, and let me tell you something... this car is a whole new animal. It was almost scary to drive for the first few days. I had to get used to a new style of shifting. In Colorado, a simple 1-2 shift would be a piece of cake, here in Ohio, I chirp the rear wheels if I have just a little too much throttle in:D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, you already touched on one mod that will assist significantly and that is a ram-air intake. There is a (relatively) exponential gain from Ram-Air the faster you go, so if you are looking for pure top speed, then yes, a Vararam will help. Keep in mind though that these intakes aren't as great for daily driving, I believe you have to reach 40 MPH to see an effect (correct me if I'm wrong, this assumption is based solely on what others have posted).

The Corsa exhaust won't have much of an effect, Cat-Backs are great for sound, but give minimal power.

Headers will help, my suggestion would be to get an LG Header with Borla Stinger Cat-Back. The two components work well together as they are both Borla made.

Lastly, a tune is crucial to this, preferably one that bumps the redline up slightly and gives a bit of a richer mixture.

A bonus to get you there would be to add some octane boost to your fuel for a one-time run. I wouldn't recommend using too high of an octane on a regular basis because of the heat-stress it adds to the engine as well as throwing off the compression ratio a bit.

So, with a Ram-Air, Full Exhaust, Tune, and a little octane boost, you should be able to crack 200 with a slight tail wind:thumbsup:
True for hp, but don't forget drag. Top speed in a C6 is drag limited. Taping the hood edges to the fenders and folding the mirrors will get a pure stock C6
to over 190. Add that to the starting baseline, and it's not that hard to pickup the 10 mph with about 25-30 more hp than stock, maybe??? Of course, that's at SL on a cool, low density altitude day. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
What is the speed rating on the stock tires on a Z-51 car? What about a non-Z-51 car? You wouldn't want to blow a tire at 200mph.;)

·
Registered
939 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about these upgrades plus a corsa sport

#VR-SC1 Vararam "SNAKE CHARMER" Ram Air Intake System
# Diablo Sport Hand Held Tuner
# VR-TBS1 Vararam Throttle Body Spacer
# 160 Degree Thermostat
# C6 Corvette Long Tube JET-HOT Coated Headers with Random Tech Catalytic Converters and X-Pipe
http://storesense.megawebservers.com/HS198/Detail.bok?no=528

The website says that you could gain 70-80rwhp. Also, I'm guessing I would have need have the transmission altered to handle the added power.

·
Registered
939 Posts
What about these upgrades plus a corsa sport

#VR-SC1 Vararam "SNAKE CHARMER" Ram Air Intake System
# Diablo Sport Hand Held Tuner
# VR-TBS1 Vararam Throttle Body Spacer
# 160 Degree Thermostat
# C6 Corvette Long Tube JET-HOT Coated Headers with Random Tech Catalytic Converters and X-Pipe
http://storesense.megawebservers.com/HS198/Detail.bok?no=528

The website says that you could gain 70-80rwhp. Also, I'm guessing I would have need have the transmission altered to handle the added power.
With Z51 Package, the right tires, the aero mods Whiterock mentioned... I bet you could see 205+ with those mods

1 - 20 of 24 Posts