Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I'm wondering why, when I turn the key to "on," a check engine light does not come on. I do get a check gauges light and seat belt light that stay on and a shift and change oil that go off in a second; also the speedometer lights up.

I'm not having any problem with the car (other than this). I was interested in discovering what trouble codes I might have so I bought an "Actron Code Scanner" at Sears. Unfortunately, everything seems to proceed from the check engine light.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. I've checked the five or so links provided by Grumpyvette regarding trouble codes, but they all (I believe) assume one has the check engine flashing.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
the dealership is good for some things no more charge per hour than domestic

they can tell u i think they try to keep u in the dark a bit so they can milk it but they have acess to all that

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. I fear that what I did was, start the car with the scanning tool attached. I hear that's a big no-no for the computer's health and makes the check engine light go bye-bye.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
At start-up your cluster does a bulb check.... if it's not comming on the bulb has been removed or burnt out!!!..... They almost NEVER burn out
A FACTORY service manual will tell you how to get codes with a DVOM
If you bought your car used..... you need to know, your car may be running in "limp-in" mode and a minor repair might get you BIG performance gains.... That light is IMPORTANT!!!! your car might be trying to tell you it's going into "tennis shoe" mode soon!!!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
PS.... I've never heard of a scan tool that would disable your SES light... the EPA might have a little problem with that

·
Banned
4 Posts
JCswm said:
At start-up your cluster does a bulb check.... if it's not comming on the bulb has been removed or burnt out!!!..... They almost NEVER burn out
A FACTORY service manual will tell you how to get codes with a DVOM
If you bought your car used..... you need to know, your car may be running in "limp-in" mode and a minor repair might get you BIG performance gains.... That light is IMPORTANT!!!! your car might be trying to tell you it's going into "tennis shoe" mode soon!!!
:agree:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts