Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new timing tab that I was thinking of installing, its a chrome one but now am not so sure about it, the rest of the engine is dirty etc so it will look out of place....perhaps when I rebuild.

So Im looking at my original tab, its got a serrated edge but I noticed it doesnt have any markings...none!

I want to check my timing and before I pull out plugs or remove the valve covers etc to determine TDC, I was wondering if the following method would at least help me to mark the correct point on the tab for timing purposes.

This assumes ( yeah I know I shouldnt assume ) that all is good with the engine and balancer etc and that it is all set up correctly. It also assumes the timing light is accurate.
I just want confirmation that this process would be correct....

So.

If I compare the tabs and the mounting position of the tabs, I should be able to transfer a mark onto my original tab that corresponds with the 0 deg mark on the chrome tab.

Using this mark and a dial back timing light, I set the timing to 36 deg all in by around 2800rpm.

Then I measure the balancer and divide the answer by 10 to give me a 36 deg mark. I then mark this on the balancer.

With my timing light now set to 0, and the engine at 2800rpm, this mark on the balancer should also line up with the mark I made on the tab.

if the marks line up, I know the tab has been correctly marked.....

Does that sound correct? May be a goofy way of doing it but its more the process than whether the timing will actually be right. I will determine TDC using the correct methods ( honest )

Just getting a lil pi**ed with all the rain we are having here in the UK..some major flooding going on. Wettest summer I can ever remember. I should be out driving the Vette instaed of making dumb posts on here.:thud:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hmm, IMHO, if your going to do it at all do it right and be done. That means verifying piston TDC manually thru the plug hole and observing where the Zero mark on the ballancer lined up on the timing tab. If you use a dial back light the Zero mark and the pointer or tab zero point is all you need, I don't trust the scribed tab marks especially on aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Six,

Thanks, :agree: 100%

It was more of a hypothetical thing really....

Like I say, too much rain and too much time!

Because of the size of my garage, I cant do any work on the car in it, I have to pull her out and thats not an option...I dont like getting wet...lol

Just wondered if the theory was right. Seems weird that there are no markings on my stock timing tab. May have to post and ask for pictures!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
:agree:

And the same if there's one of the serrated teeth is a bigger notch than the rest of them..

:cheers:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Here are a couple if pics from an unmolested 75 survivor.
No evidence of the engine ever having been apart.

The deepest root of the "V" is TDC.
The other "Vs" are in 2° increments, but it is the root and not the tip that denotes the degree.

The tab is fairly generic to a GM cars of that era.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts