Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atlanta Journal Constitution via YellowBrix

November 15, 2010

GREENE COUNTY, GA – A convicted felon shot and killed the Greene County chief deputy Sunday morning before turning the gun on himself, Sheriff Chris Houston said.

Kevin Roberts, 48, answered the door of his Siloam home around 8:30 and was shot, Houston said. The suspect, identified as 37-year-old Sherman Ash Branch, then shot himself in the murder-suicide, Houston said.

Investigators believe Branch may have targeted the deputy because of a sheriff’s office investigation, Houston said. But Roberts was not involved in the investigation involving Branch, he said.

“He was my best friend,” Houston said Sunday afternoon of Roberts, a married father of two.

Branch was twice convicted of cocaine possession and once for obstructing an officer, according to the Georgia Department of Corrections. He served two sentences in state prison.

GBI agents are at the scene assisting the Greene County Sheriff’s Office with the investigation, GBI spokesman John Bankhead told the AJC.

Morgan, Taliaferro, Putnam, Oconee and other agencies also are helping.

Roberts had been the chief deputy since 1999. He previously worked as a police officer in Union Point and Greensboro.

Just a reminder to all LEO's, you have got to be on guard at all times. Officer safety and proper tactics doesn't stop once you get home. Make sure the members of your family understand this too.

Stay safe out there.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
It must be hard for the family to get closure when the chickenshit culprit killed himself leaving no one to take revenge on. RIP, Chief.

·
Registered
155 Posts
More to come

Way more to this story! It was VERY cool that law enforcement from all over north Georgia headed to that county to take over law enforcement and PROTECT Green County SO Command Staff and Facilities!

Since this is here I will post updates as they come along

Bugs

·
Registered
155 Posts
Update 11.16

GREENE COUNTY, Ga. -- Channel 2 Action News reporter Richard Elliot learned new information Monday about the man who police said shot a chief deputy to death in Greene County over the weekend.

Investigators said a convicted criminal, Sherman Branch, 37, knocked on the door of Chief Deputy Kevin Roberts’ home and killed him on Sunday morning before killing himself.

On Sunday, Greene County Sheriff Chris Houston said Branch was likely the target of an undercover drug investigation, but Roberts was not involved in the investigation.

On Monday, Houston confirmed Branch was involved in a drug operation in which nine people were taken into custody Sunday night. Houston said Branch was “one of the biggest drug dealers in Greene County.” Houston also said Branch was facing potential federal drug charges.

Houston told Elliot that Branch was a suspect in the kidnapping and torture of a drug informant in the case.

Police said Branch had been an informant for the Greene County Sheriff’s Office before. Houston speculated on Monday that Branch knew authorities were on to him and he went to Roberts’ house to try to cut a deal. Roberts knew Branch and knew he was a former informant, Houston said.

Houston said Branch had tried to come and see him last week, but he was out of town.

Branch’s wife spoke with Channel 2 Action News reporter Tony Thomas on Sunday about her husband.

Charlotte Branch cried and shook as Thomas spoke with her. She said she was at a loss as to what exactly happened with her husband of eight months.

“He got up, cooked breakfast and said he was going to feed the dog and he never came back,” said Branch.

She said she had no idea that anything was wrong.

“My husband wasn’t the suicidal type. I don’t know what went on,” said Branch.

“I heard two gunshots close together – pow, pow – just like that,” said neighbor Annie Thornton.

Investigators went over the crime scene all day Sunday.

“Kevin was the perfect community police officer. He went to the door this morning anticipating helping somebody,” said Houston.

Houston said he did not believe the murder-suicide was related to a recent Channel 2 Action News investigation. The GBI and a special investigator said agents are looking into allegation concerning the sheriff’s use of forfeited drug money. Some county commissioners said they have been calling for the probe for two years.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the updates Bugs.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How big is their force there?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't see it as a warning at all since the perp killed himself.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't see it as a warning at all since the perp killed himself.
There has been an ongoing investigation in Green county as well as others in that area for a long time.. The perp may have been a part of that investigation... the proximity to the University of Georgia and rural make up of the community as well as easy interstate highway access make it a desirable location

Bugs

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Very sad. R.I.P.

Resisting the urge to type anything controversial, all I can say is this **** really angers me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why!

If this angers you .. vocalize about it! There are a FEW very liberal folks that may feel pain.. don't really care...

I hope the ANGER can continue so that we return to our fundamental CONSTITUTIONAL principals and STOP the liberal experiment that has SO miserably FAILED...... Career Criminals GO TO JAIL and stay there!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sympathize!

My Brother (who also policed in the same county as I)was shot 5x by a guy that had served 3 years of an ARMED burglary convection, "overcrowded out" by a whiny Democrat Govonor JOE FRANK HARRIS! whit in a week of release he had burglarized another house, stolen a gun, committed an armed robbery, and SHOT A COP... The courts added 25 years to his remaining 12 for 37 to serve. John was able to get 2 .45 rounds in his belly as he was being shot....gotta be tough to be a colostomate in prison!

John, my brother, survived but was treated like a leper by the department, typical.

SO this kind of stuff is personal for me! also not the first high ranking Sheriff official in Georgia to be assassinated! Google Derwin Brown!

Bugs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts