Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn. :surprised

As the United States and China battle over the finer points of currency manipulation at the G-20 summit, American negotiators may want to take note of this startling testimonial to the productivity of Chinese workers: A construction crew in the south-central Chinese city of Changsha has completed a 15-story hotel in just six days. If nothing else, this remarkable achievement will stoke further complaints from American economic pundits that China's economy is far more accomplished than ours in tending to such basics as construction.

Meanwhile, it's easy to imagine the disorientation of Changsha residents who'd gone away, or who just hadn't recently ventured into the downtown neighborhood of the new Ark Hotel: "Honey, I don't remember a hotel there, do you?"

The work crew erected the hotel -- a soundproofed, thermal-insulated structure reportedly built to withstand a magnitude 9 earthquake -- with all prefabricated materials. In other words, a crew of off-site factory workers built the sections, and their on-site counterparts arranged them on the foundation for the Ark project.

Despite the frenetic pace of construction, no workers were injured -- and thanks to the prefab nature of the process, the builders wasted very few construction materials. Below is a time-lapse video that shows the hotel being built from the ground up in less than a week:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
:cheers: Were screwed....:thud:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
:agree:
Kinda makes your sig statement ring true about the US...
Exactly...Man, I miss the USA having it's **** together..I try to picture a robust, strong America, but I have a tuff time.

:lookinup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
hotel

one good earthquake will probably have it back down again if its anything like the quality of the chinese stuff i see every day but dont buy

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
I always wondered why more construction projects don't work like that? I figured it woulod be more efficent to get it done as fast as possible since some of the costs of construction are fixed like if you are renting any expensive machines by the hour/day and working 24/7 in three shifts since you don't need to waste time setting up at the start of the day or packing up at the end of the day.

I guess if that were the US it would start by being held up in court for a few years then another year going though governmental agencies to get permission for everything from digging a hole in the ground to having a building that may block the sun to some endangered birds then a few months to get the utilities to run to the site then maybe a year and a half to build after that.

Kinda like the Freedom tower I mean "One world trade center" it took 5 years to start building and if everything goes according to plan it will be finished in 7 years while the original WTC only took 3 years to build in the late 1960's and each of the original two towers had more floor space than the new freedom tower, I mean "One world trade center"

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Did you notice how many cranes arre working on the site?

Not one injury. God help me, I sure do love this country,

But we need a size eleven where the sun don't shine.

Just have a look at the ships built in Korea, Japan and

China. They put us to shame at every turn.

That building looks good, I guess only time will tell.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Labor and regulation constraints. It's our technology... with these two inhibiting factors stopping us from outdoing them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did you notice how many cranes arre working on the site?

Not one injury. God help me, I sure do love this country,

But we need a size eleven where the sun don't shine.

Just have a look at the ships built in Korea, Japan and

China. They put us to shame at every turn.

That building looks good, I guess only time will tell.
NOT ONE INJURY dont kid yourself whats the source of the information the chinese government ? and you believe them

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I don't think I would go in a 15 story prefabricated building...:thud:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I call BULL-****

Six days to bolt it together, three years of Manufacturing, one year of training and test fitting components.

Hell it takes months for concrete footings to cure before that much weight can be stacked on them. Let alone drying time for materials like joint compound, paint.

Can't even picture how there was time for proper structural, electric, plumbing, elevator and fire suppressant system inspections.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Can't even picture how there was time for proper structural, electric, plumbing, elevator and fire suppressant system inspections.
Oh, you want electric and plumbing? That is not standard construction in China. You check in and they give you a Chinese flashlight and a five gallon bucket. Kinda like Kentucky was 5 years ago. Elevator????, how about stairs. That's what's included and the fire suppression system/ I've got visions of 10,000 Chinese on the roof drinking cheap beer. Whenever there's a fire they drop their trousers and spring into action and scatter like a Chinese fire drill.

·
Registered
753 Posts
NOT ONE INJURY dont kid yourself whats the source of the information the chinese government ? and you believe them
If we talk about the source of information is the Chinese government itself, then no one was hurt, ... just dead!:devil:
in the country of NO human rights may mean that workers are aliens, not humans
Pretty sad for the poors chinese workers,
I love you America

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
My daughter just got back from China. The people there are very friendly and filled with optimism because they know they are at the beginning of a great age for them. They believe the sky is the limit - kind of like the U.S. In 1946. We have lost that here. I, too, put lawyers and regulators at the top of the list of causes for our decline.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Old hat - check out this video that shows how to build a house in less than 3 hours.

Fundamentally, as was mentioned before, you're forced to spend lots of money up front to get all the prepwork done. You're trading assembly time on the house for all the prep work that can be done extermally.

We used to do the same thing in manufacturing - we looked at each element of a changeover for example, and we'd chart each step as either an internal or external process. All the external steps were removed, and as much as possible, the internal steps were optimized to reduce the changeover time.

In the case of the hotel, you'd do the same thing - figure out what can be done ahead of time, do it, then shift those jobs upstream and get them before you're on site.

Steven

·
Registered
175 Posts
As far as prefab construction, we are already doing this type.
At Washington University, here in St. Louis, we have built more than a few buildings where the first 2 floors were conventional structural steel and the remaining were prefab light gauge steel.

If you have enough room to run several cranes and bring in huge panels, it's fine. There are not many places here in the US where you can run super wide loads down the highway to get to the job.

Union rules also make running a job 24/day cost prohibitive.
I don't see the need to build a building that fast anyway.
Do your planning and build the building at a comfortable rate.

How about this:
http://www.michaeljohngrist.com/2009/09/collapse-toppled-apartment-building-in-shanghai/

Every one tries to compare themselves to the US. We are a great nation for many reasons, not just one. They are all posers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts