Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
this started about 4 or more years ago, while trying to crank over my motor I heard a clank, and Litle bit of a crunch at first.
after inspection I noticed my starter bolts loosend up.. I tighten it up, I would crank the motor and about on the 3rd revolution I would hear a clank, Like it was binding or something. that was the minor problem, I needed to get my motor rebuilt, it's a stroker, I noticed that there was one tooth that had a decent nick in it, so I figured, my loose starter could of caused that, my engine builder didn't mention anything to me about it, so I figured a new starter is on the list, I bought another starter, and it does the same thing, I have no shims in it. could that one tooth be causing the sound, the engine does spin slower when it makes the clank, kinda like it's making it over a bump..

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I recommend turning the engine over by hand with no compression and without the starter engaged.

You can buy a cheap tool from Harbor Freight that allows you to turn the engine by gripping the edge of the crank pulley. It has a handle, and you can easily rotate the engine bits at a time.

I remove spark plugs when I am manually rotating an engine. No compression makes it easier. You'll hear the air being taken in and air being forced out, but you'll be able to 'feel' for the clunk you're hearing and you'll be able to 'feel' for what you think makes the engine spin slower.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Take a good look at your flexplate. I bet it's broken. Either a crack from the center out, or most possibly the center is broken out of it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recommend turning the engine over by hand with no compression and without the starter engaged.

You can buy a cheap tool from Harbor Freight that allows you to turn the engine by gripping the edge of the crank pulley. It has a handle, and you can easily rotate the engine bits at a time.

I remove spark plugs when I am manually rotating an engine. No compression makes it easier. You'll hear the air being taken in and air being forced out, but you'll be able to 'feel' for the clunk you're hearing and you'll be able to 'feel' for what you think makes the engine spin slower.
thank you

Take a good look at your flexplate. I bet it's broken. Either a crack from the center out, or most possibly the center is broken out of it.

It's a 4-speed, I should of mentioned that.. thanks though for
the suggestion ... I am going to try what D_B mentioned.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wonder if one of the teeth your fly wheel is damaged. So the starter may miss when its spinning. Since you noted the starter as loose, you may have damaged it somehow.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
552 Posts
File any raised edge off the nick on your ring gear, there's not much tolerance so raised edges are bind points.

What probably happened is a strong backfire during cranking. Give the ring gear a super, super, super close inspection to be sure a small section of it isn't broken or bent.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ran into a similar problem with a new motor. It was simply the dust cover that goes around the starter and covers the flywheel.

It made a terrific racket, but was easily remedied by enlarging the hole around the output shaft.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts