Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I am about to bring home my first C3. I have a great insurance company already that I will not change for everything else, only issue is if it came to repairing or covering the C3 if it was totaled they would cover way less than the actual cost to repair / replace.

I am getting a driver rather than a collector, is this just a risk you take with a old vette or are there insurance companies out there that will appraise the vehicle and cover me if the worst should happen?

How much do you have to pay for peace of mind????

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have Grundy on my Camaro. For an agreed to amount of $12K I pay about $210 a year. No deductible, unlimited mileage (obviously you have to have a primary car), full coverage, and you can drive it to work on occasion.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a little better than USAA, they quoted me a little over $300 but said the amount they would pay would depend on what they assess the value is at the time of the accident. Right now they ball parked it around 10k for a 1973, but that would only go a little way towards replacing it.

My bigger concern is minor damage. My old C6 was hit by debris on the highway and I had to get the scratch on the passenger side (from front to back wheel well) filled and repainted. There are always idiots running around keying cars. And I learned with the last one, you can park it in a parking lot that's 5 miles wide and empty and when you come back out some guy is going to be parked right next to you with barely enough room to open the door.

Once again, just curious if anyone has found a solution for insurance, or do I just have to suck it up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Usaa

Hey guys to those that qaulify have you tried Usaa's collector car insurance. it's price is similar to grundy's and has a agreed upon value option too. just checked their website to confirm
J:partyon:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm, the girl I talked to yesterday did not explain that. But then again, maybe I misunderstood what she was saying. I really want to stay with them on the vette as I use them for everything else.

If you are eligible to use them I definitely recommend them.

If you have them, you understand why.

I will call them back.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
$212/yr on my 77 Vette with State Farm, agreed value of $15000. 7,000 annual mileage limit. Hagerty's quoted me a few bucks cheaper for the same value with a 2500 (?) mileage limit. both very cheap

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have Heacock Classic insurance. Agreed value $20,000, $50 deductible and roadside assistance. I am only allowed to drive 3,000 miles a year but I only put on 500 a summer.
Haggerty wanted $300 for the same coverage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Usaa

after more review i'm not sure the insurance is actually Usaa the link says /american collector car ins. that is APPROVED by Usaa for its members.

Ill send you the link in a PM

J

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
<<SNIP>> I really want to stay with them on the vette as I use them for everything else.

If you are eligible to use them I definitely recommend them.

If you have them, you understand why.

I will call them back.
I'm glad your experience with USAA is good.

Wile I was stationed at Castle AFB my wife and I
went to the USAA office to get auto insurance for our
Camaro. After six hours of being hammered to purchase
Life Insurance we finally walked out with some auto insurance.
Six months later we left USAA for a better rate. In the mean time USAA
contacted the DMV advising we were driving with no insurance.
The DMV contacted my bank advising we had no insurance. My bank contacted my
First Sargent. The Shirt advised me should I be driving with out insurance I
could expect an article 15. Not good for ones career.

We had to get letters from my new insurance company
and send them to the DMV, Bank, First Shirt, and USAA.

Three months later USAA did it again along with sending
me a bill for the three months of coverage. It took a
call from Legal Aide to stop USAA's harassment.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Using Hagerty. About $200.00 per year. 6,000 miles per year allowed. Stated value replacement at $10,000. Will probably bump up to $15,000 at renewal.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I recently shopped around for my '71 and will switch over to Adam @ the Corvette Museum, http://www.ncminsurance.com

They have both regular collectors insurance (no driving to work) as well as a rider that lets you drive to work up to 2x/week. All policies are agreed value and the best rates I could find.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, for the feedback. I see there are more out there than I thought.

I was looking through Hagerty and liked the roadside assistance and at first glance there did not seem to be a lot of restrictions on what you could / could not do.

Anyone have experience when it comes to collisions or minor damage to your car with Hagerty? Or is the roadside assistance as good as it sounds?

Do they drop you as soon as you make a claim?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I recently shopped around for my '71 and will switch over to Adam @ the Corvette Museum, http://www.ncminsurance.com

They have both regular collectors insurance (no driving to work) as well as a rider that lets you drive to work up to 2x/week. All policies are agreed value and the best rates I could find.
I am in the process of getting switched over to ncm right now from Hagerty. Better coverage for less money.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Me too. Adam was great to work with .... saved me $150 under my Grundy premium even after I increased agreed value by 5k.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TX73VETTE, sent you a PM about the vette. Have a few details to work out, but think it may be getting close. Thanks for the recommendation on The Corvette Shop (Dallas). I am pretty happy with Dave.

I still have not decided on insurance but think I am leaning towards Hagerty. They seem to be the most reasonable when it comes to being able to drive the car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had Hagerty on my 76 for a little over a year now. During this first year policy period I had to use the roadside assistance for a flatbed ride home. They did ask where I was and why I was there, sorta interigatingish but not too bad. I was at an Autozone letting them hear the high torque starter I bought that wasn't doing the job and then sure enough when I went to leave it wouldn't engage.

Originally I had the car insured for $10k which was the rough book value for an unrestored car. They made sure I had a main daily driver and mentioned 3000 miles a year for the vette but no one came out to look at the odometer and they didn't ask for the mileage at the time the policy became effective. Truth be none I know I've put more than 3k miles on it last year so I wouldn't worry too much about the miles.

When the renewel came up a few months ago I checked Grundy but found the price higher. I went online to Hagerty and renewed online and doubled my coverage stating that completion of the restoration increased the value of the car. Everything was done online, subject to review which they approved a few hours later.

All in all I'm happy with Hagerty. I haven't placed a claim but they did tell me their adjusters are car guys like us which made me feel better having been a claims adjuster for 17 years I'd rather have someone that understands the modifications I've done instead of me having to explain it to them should a repair be necessary.

I did have the left side of the car keyed back in december in a parking lot but chose to pay for the repair myself so as not to create a claims history since it was only a few days after I increased the coverage amount which would have been a big red flag. Figures I decided to strip the paint off the car down to fiberglass and it's with the painter now so I might increase the coverage another $5k and see if they approve it without an appraiser coming out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Happy with Grundy here $233 a year agreed value of $12,500 , I'm allowed to drive it to work on nice days, and no mileage limits:cheers:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts