Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering what thoughts the menbers have on the use of clay bars,and any good tips on there use.as always (save the wave) and god bless our troops,kenny 1984:D

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
kenney said:
was wondering what thoughts the menbers have on the use of clay bars,and any good tips on there use.as always (save the wave) and god bless our troops,kenny 1984:D
Kenney, I've had great success with Zaino claybar. I haven't used any other brand, but I am always up for trying new products.

Claybar is great for grabbing all the little cruddy things that stick to your paint, I think it's worth the money.

Just make sure you lubricate the claybar with some car soap, and keep a hose running in the area you are working on, always go in a left to right motion, never in circles.

You can claybar the whole car in 10 minutes, and you only need to do it once or twice a year. Then she'll be baby-smooth! :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Re: Re: clay bars(how good are they)

(Don't hate me!) I am going to move this to the Car detailing forum so others interested in claybar'ing can find it there.

;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here is the process I used to restore my paint to a beautiful shine.

Set aside a day for this.

Note: paint surface must be cool and this process should not be done in direct sunlight. And as usual, work only one area at a time. Use a separate terry cloth wrapped sponge applicator for each product. Dampen the applicators with water before starting. Mask off vinyl before you start.

1. wash and dry car in fore, aft motion. Dry with an absorber, not chamois.

2. spray surface with Meguires #34.

3. apply Mequires #3 in fore, aft motion. Don't be afraid to really lean into it.

4. without removing the #3 residue, apply another mist of #34.

5. apply Meguires #9 "swirl remover" or "step 2 polish" (in red bottle) on top of the #3 with the same fore, aft motion.

6. without removing the #9 residue, apply another mist of #34.

7. once again without removing the polish, now apply your favorite wax (I use 3M paste wax) on top of what is now on the paint. (spraying final inspection (#34) in the tin of wax before dipping the applicator in, helps lubricate the wax on to the applicator.).

8. Remove wax with a soft ALL cotton cloth or a microfiber cloth, again using a fore, aft motion.

9. with a clean microfibre cloth, lightly spray final inspection (#34) and polish to a high shine. Wax residue can be removed from door seal rubbers and trim with an art eraser.

10. Step back, enjoy the fruits of your labour, drive to scenic spot, take many pictures

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Clay bars are awesome!! I rub my car with my hand and if felt smooth.

I used the clay bar and rub it again, it felt like glass!!! I would highly recommend using the clay bar before any wax or polish. I'm a huge Zaino fan and wouldn't dare polish my Vette without using a clay bar on it.:thumbsup:

O

·
0 Posts
jassr48 said:

Note: paint surface must be cool and this process should not be done in direct sunlight. And as usual, work only one area at a time. Use a separate terry cloth wrapped sponge applicator for each product. Dampen the applicators with water before starting. Mask off vinyl before you start.

3. apply Mequires #3 in fore, aft motion. Don't be afraid to really lean into it.

5. apply Meguires #9 "swirl remover" or "step 2 polish" (in red bottle) on top of the #3 with the same fore, aft motion.

7. once again without removing the polish, now apply your favorite wax (I use 3M paste wax) on top of what is now on the paint. (spraying final inspection (#34) in the tin of wax before dipping the applicator in, helps lubricate the wax on to the applicator.).

8. Remove wax with a soft ALL cotton cloth or a microfiber cloth, again using a fore, aft motion.

9. with a clean microfibre cloth, lightly spray final inspection (#34) and polish to a high shine. Wax residue can be removed from door seal rubbers and trim with an art eraser.

10. Step back, enjoy the fruits of your labour, drive to scenic spot, take many pictures

Thanks for the instructions! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
jassr48 said:
You put the wax on top of non-buffed polish? No poopie?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Clay works great on the car. It's more work but worth it. You don’t have to do it every time you wash the car. I clayed the 02 two days after getting it home and was really amazed how dirty the car was after washing it several times. The clay picked up everything.

·
Registered
132 Posts
MinnesotaWhite said:
You put the wax on top of non-buffed polish? No poopie?
I'm using a polymer and I don't allow it to dry before I add the wax it saves a step
this process works for me. But that’s why we have a forum to discuss things like this.............

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think they are great. I have used both Zaino and Mother's claybars, dosen't matter what brand it is they are all going to be the same and work equally as well.
I don't know if this was mentioned or not but before you clay the car be sure to wash the car using Dawn dishwashing soap then dry it. This strips all the old wax off the car which will allow the claybar to get any impurities,dirt, sap, etc.. out of the paint.
As everybody mentioned you'll need a lubricant with the claybar.
I'm also using Zaino on my car so what I did was mix some of the car wash with some water in a spray bottle. Don't use the dawn, use your regular car wash to do this. Work in sections, take your time, the more time you spend the better the results will be.
I'm not as fast as Patrick-lol, it took me alot longer than 10 minutes but is well worth the time invested.
I did my car once last year, I think that is more than enough unless your car sits under a tree or is driven daily.

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
90 vette said:
The only question I have for you clayers is what do you store your clay bar in after the first use. I have messed up 2 bars.
I put it in an old glass jar (with lid) with 1/4 inch of water on the bottom. Keeps them babies soft! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Does it remove Zanio also ????

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I removed some overspray on my friends IROC back in 98 with the clay bar. The finish has never been smoother.

I used it on my car this past weekend. I thought it'd be in good shape seeing I kept after it all summer. Guess I was wrong! There was a lot of crud on the bar.

I become a little nervous using the bar more than once due to dirt being embedded in there,and possible scratching paint.

I bought five blue magic bar kits at Auto Zone this weekend..so I am ready to go.

Zaino and Mothers have a very good clay bar also.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have to agree that clay bars are great. I have been using it for 2 years now. Took it to my mothers car that is 10 years old. You would not believe the crud that came off with it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use Griot's clay bar and speed shine to lubricate it with excellent result's. Griot's clay bar comes in a nice plastic storing jar.:excited:

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
jassr48 said:

I've used this too. Worth every penny!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Claybar'd and Zaino'd Z5&6 my 2001 Torch Red Coupe (4 coats)and 2003 Nissan Altima (2 coats) daily driver. I was impressed with claybar but became a real believer when I claybar'd wife's 2002 Impala with 30,000 miles and never waxed/polished before. It looked so good after the claybar that I almost didn't zaino it; but I broke down and put a coat of Z5 & 6 on it. Altima was zaino'd 4 months ago and just needs water wash and towel dry. Vette only needs California duster after 3 months (about 1,000 miles). Lets see how long the Impala lasts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts