Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I knew what I would find I would have had my wife's camera and sent the photos to someone with enough brains to upload them.

Had about 2300 on the VR filter and I pulled it out and it was really very green and seemed to be just fine: past experience with my old 388 stroker told me that the filter in a ram air is very, very important to the proper functioning.

Wife wasn't home so I decided to clean this in her kitchen sink which is white.

Very little to vacuum off but I did and them I thought I would skip my Super Clean method and just use Dawn. Did the usual lightly warm water soak and the gentle up and down movement and man the black "silt" that cam out was amazing. Rinsed and repeated-same thing. Next time it was clean - - or so I thought. I always hit the rubber against the edge of the sink and I did this expecting nothing. WRONG !! Talk about lots of stuff like bug parts, larger bits of grit and unrecognizable other junk.

It was so bad that I would have bet that the filter was not cleaned at all. I couldn't believe it and I was amazed.

Anyway I repeated this and re-cleaned until nothing came out, dried it and put a light film of oil on the filter. Damn thing runs like a raped ape again.

Lesson here is this: it may look clean but it is really quite dirty. If you have ram air clean those puppies often.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
:agree: :cheers:

·
Registered
83 Posts
just put my vararam on a few months ago... about to clean it i'll let you know how mine looks.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember NO hot water, use either Super Clean or Dawn and follow my process - - you will be amazed...

·
Registered
565 Posts
K&N makes a cleaning and reoiling kit for their filters. Why couldn't you use that? I thought it worked well when I did it at 15,000 on my T/A. I would be afraid that Dawn or the like would be too strong and shorten the life of the media. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are two scenarios here. First is a cold air system, they get dirty but they never get the air pushed in at whatever the vehicle speed is; as such, there is no pressure effect. The get a lot less dirty.

The K&N cleaner is basically, as I understand it, an oil cutting mild detergent and all cleaners should be used with warm/cool water to prevent shrinkage of the cotton media. (Castrol Super Clean works great on really filthy ones)

I used Dawn as the filter "looked" good but the car didn't feel right. It took out the dirt but my whole point was with a RA system you really get stuff impacted into the filter and i couldn't see it at all.

I was amazed at the junk that came out of the unit but when you consider that whatever the speed is that you are traveling, that is how fast the air is entering your system with ram air. You just don't see this with a cold air system or an aftermarket filter.

Bottom line back to your question is this: Dawn will not hurt the media.

I am willing to bet almost anything that a Halltech would be pristine after 25000 miles: great unit but not a ram air.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey old dog just cleaned mine and same story. Thanks for the cleaning tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts