Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would one go about cleaning the suspensino parts?
I heard if you use a brillo pad it would scuff it up?
What about a regular kitchen sink sponge(the green and yellow one) with some degreaser?

also, im looking to clean up the engine bay a little, what can i chunk into the parts bin??

Thanks,Jeff.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
simple green straight, lots of elbow greese. If you use a green scrubby on the suspension you can make it look good even though it will scratch it it won't hurt it.. Under the hood is just simple green and time. Good luck

·
Registered
182 Posts
For suspension parts I use purple power from Auto Zone.

Let it soak for a few minutes then scrub with 0000 steel wool. Rinse with soapy water in a spray bottle & wipe dry.

0000 steel wool will not scratch & tends to polish the alloy.

After detailing some spray wax will keep everything looking good.

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
I've always used orange degreaser to get the main grime off and a brass wire brush if needed. You will go through several old towels cleaning misc suspension/frame gunk. Then just Mother's Metal Polish to get the final residue buff out. This gives a clean, natural shine - I'm just not one for chrome like shine.

Use of a brass brush is recommended over steel, which could easily scratch aluminum. Brushes do come in varying gauges, so find a good fine brass brush.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use Superclean{pick up @ Wmallwort} and it is great. rinse off polish with fine steel wool,wax if you care. The front end gets a once over every weekend on this owners Vette 'cause you run 'em hard and they need care. Keep all the suspension clean. It will make your wrenching easier and "visual" checks a heck of alot quicker.Don't forget the brakes...This is one of the most impressive things about a car of this calibre...MUST stop now!!! has come to mind a few times. Just about anything you can't think of needs your devotion on these street machines. Enjoy them, love them and remember,our grandchildren will be faced looking at buying electric cars and that sucks for them. SO TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR RIDE! and pass it down to the little monsters who will change our bedpans:laughing:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I used straight simple green and then brake parts cleaner to degrease. I painter mine, used wheel paint, just pain silver color, some of the parts it was hard to see what was just clean and what was painted. I figured the paint would save me from dealing with oxidation of the parts. All I have to do is wipe the various parts down, no polishing needed :partyon:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts