Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys / girls , I have a couple if spots behind my tires that are missing some clear coat . I'll probably take it to a pro but before I do I was wondering if it were something I could fix myself first ?
I have spray guns but the last car I painted was my old 51 ford and that was years ago , and it wasn't a vette.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Junkman may have something for that,

I'd try that 1st

For myself, I'd wet sand it 1st with 3000 grit (keep it wet)

Then I'd mask it all off and re-shoot it with clear coat,

I allow paint and or lacquer to cure for 30 days before I touch it again

Then I would very lightly re- wet sand it with with 4000 grit and then use a sealer wax, followed by a good quality car wax

Note: I go easy when sanding and I use a Diluted solution of Baby shampoo and water in order to offer more of a barrier

I just found this

Junkman , Good Tutorial : http://wetdrysandpaper.net/

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Junkman may have something for that,

I'd try that 1st

For myself, I'd wet sand it 1st with 3000 grit (keep it wet)

Then I'd mask it all off and re-shoot it with clear coat,

I allow paint and or lacquer to cure for 30 days before I touch it again

Then I would very lightly re- wet sand it with with 4000 grit and then use a sealer wax, followed by a good quality car wax

Note: I go easy when sanding and I use a Diluted solution of Baby shampoo and water in order to offer more of a barrier

I just found this

Junkman , Good Tutorial : http://wetdrysandpaper.net/
Actually, those grits are not the grits you use to prep a car for painting. After it's done, those grits can be used for finishing but most painters are not even going to use anything that light, especially 4000 grit.

The video series that Bon posted is actually located on this forum. That's the complete thread and you won't have to skip all over You Tube. That series concentrates on scratch repair, not prepping paint.

If I were you, I'd have the work done professionally. After all, you're not painting a Camry here. There's a little more to dealing with 2 stage paint and you don't want to be learning on your Corvette.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Actually, those grits are not the grits you use to prep a car for painting. After it's done, those grits can be used for finishing but most painters are not even going to use anything that light, especially 4000 grit.

The video series that Bon posted is actually located on this forum. That's the complete thread and you won't have to skip all over You Tube. That series concentrates on scratch repair, not prepping paint.

If I were you, I'd have the work done professionally. After all, you're not painting a Camry here. There's a little more to dealing with 2 stage paint and you don't want to be learning on your Corvette.
Were not painting ??????

He's just re-applying clear coat

What ever works lol

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Laying clear coat is very similar to painting color, however the prep is different. I wouldn't chance it if I were the OP. There's a thread on here were a member totally paints his C5. Check out how much work is involved with just the clear coat. Also, adding more clear coat creates depth in the paint. This will also cause the color of the paint to change. Thus, it has to be blended in the surrounding areas. Not something to take on if you have to ask about how it is done.

I have a rule when it comes to paint. Never tell a guy how to do something that I wouldn't allow him to try on my own car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Painting behind the tires

I would agree with Junkman, with one caveat- The OP's painting behind the tires. Way down low like that, I'd think he's got the same problem I do- years of gravel and dirt have sand blasted the lowest panel on the rear quarter and it makes the dark color look lighter. I would think that sanding with any grit over 1500 would make it smooth enough to reshoot the area where it curves in under the car. The OP can speak for himself on this, but my thinking would be like this: "When people are far enough away to see the underside of the car, I'd like the underside not to look like a lighter sand blasted color (my situation today); BUT when they get up close, they're too close to see the underside, so I don't need to attain perfection down there."
Is this heresy? :huh:
What are the chances the clearcoat would stick if you sanded and prepped the damaged area?

NOTE- this poster has a 18 year old C4 daily driver and has the same problem. The solution (in my case) will not involve a professional respray. $$$$) .
Ideas? Suggestions??

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I can understand your logic. What it really comes down to is how anal one is about the appearance of their car. I would go the professional route myself but then everyone knows how anal I am about my paint.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Diff'rent Strokes!

Junkman- I've seen your videos, and you've been an inspiration to me. My 93 Vert had been seriously neglected til i got it, and i've been polishing and waxing for the past year (since I first got it) to make it presentable. The part I haven't gotten to yet is the 'down low' part, so this post piqued my interest. My budget won't allow for a paint job, and in any case the clear coat was intact, so sweat, compound and wax have been my 'friends.'

But when you look at the bottom edges (where it curves under), it reveals the neglect. So that's why I'm interested in the options for the OP. Behind the tires and under the sides beneath the doors, I have plenty of nicks and chips and sand blasting. The paint is original (Polo Greeen) but it doesn't look so green down there. Poishing and waxing has had no effect so far, so i'm considering sanding and spraying with rattle-can clear coat. (Apologies to the OP- His car is a lot newer than mine!! He may not be nearly as desperate as me!)

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Paul

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
If you choose to do that, you should post up a thread. If it turns out not so hot, others will learn from your experience. On the flip side, others will be pleased and may want to try it if it turns out good.

When it comes to chip, nicks and scratches, Dr. Colorchip or the Lankga system may be your friend. Since money is a consideration, I won't recommend this kit but I really like it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Improving the look of chipped body panels

Junkman- that is good advice. first about starting a separate thread, and second about the kits available to help achieve my goals.
BUT, Boy-0-boy do you have expensive tastes!! :laughing:

I've already begun experimenting on my son's Saturn (which has related paint problems) while he's away at college. I'll take pictures and develop a narrative, and see what happens.

Thanks, again! :cheers:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Junkman

Once again I am writing to ask when you are going to do a "how-to" using the DR.COLORCHIP....awhile back you said in a post that you were going to do that

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Once again I am writing to ask when you are going to do a "how-to" using the DR.COLORCHIP....awhile back you said in a post that you were going to do that
I am, along with the Langka system too. I'm just being pulled in 50 directions right now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts