Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
you actually dont want to do this, it will make the surface smooth and your next coat wont stick. when you paint look at the can the paint is in for "flash time" this is the time you must wait between coats, usually 10-25 minutes. go to soon and the paint will be too wet and will run or bubble. wait too long and the paint already on will be set and wont accept another coat, with clear you will see a cloudy finish. are you painting a car? where are you in the process?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re Clearing a door

Actually I'm just reclearing the bottom half of the pass door. I just wanted to get a couple more coats of clear on. I think it is the original clear coat and the more i wheel it, the thinner it gets. I like to wet sand once in a while to remove surface scratches and clean up the clear coat. Maybe i'm wrong. But when i'm done buffing, it shines pretty good.

JS, I hope im not doing the wrong thing.

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
Actually I'm just reclearing the bottom half of the pass door. I just wanted to get a couple more coats of clear on. I think it is the original clear coat and the more i wheel it, the thinner it gets. I like to wet sand once in a while to remove surface scratches and clean up the clear coat. Maybe i'm wrong. But when i'm done buffing, it shines pretty good.

JS, I hope im not doing the wrong thing.
i wouldnt make a habit of wet sanding, it removes clear coat as you know, if you want to reclear that panel sand with 800 grit paper either wet or dry, wet will be cleaner, then 4 coats of clear following flash time. for future scatches i would try a simple wax or polish or sctach remover, theyre less agressive. thats cool you know how to paint and arent afraid, good for you lets see pics

1 - 5 of 5 Posts