Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's all I'm hearing from the 91 when I try starting it. Battery charged but I've been told it could still be a dead battery.

:huh:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Have you tried jumping it?

If it starts with a jump, you have two main causes...

1. Bad battery
2. Bad alternator

What does your voltmeter read when the key is on? And in the start/crank position?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BubbleHead said:
Have you tried jumping it?

If it starts with a jump, you have two main causes...

1. Bad battery
2. Bad alternator

What does your voltmeter read when the key is on? And in the start/crank position?
Battery charger on it for 24 hours and also tried using the "start" mod on the charger without any luck. Don't have a voltmeter (added to the shopping list). Would have to roll the car out of the garage to jump it and with this crap snow it was my last choice. The battery is 5+ years old so I think this is my first step. I'm hoping it's not the alternator.

Thanks BubbleHead.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
ragvette said:
Battery charger on it for 24 hours and also tried using the "start" mod on the charger without any luck. Don't have a voltmeter (added to the shopping list). Would have to roll the car out of the garage to jump it and with this crap snow it was my last choice. The battery is 5+ years old so I think this is my first step. I'm hoping it's not the alternator.

Thanks BubbleHead.:thumbsup:
Hmmmmm, it just maybe your battery. You should have a voltmeter as part of your gauge package (on the dash).

You can always pull the alternator and battery out and head off to your local parts store to have them tested. As Pete said, it can also be your starter, but I like to start with the easier items.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would start with connections. Are the terminals clean? Everything grounded? After that I would check the battery. You can take the Battery to Autozone or Pep boys and have it load tested for free. If you got 5 years out of your battery, you got your moneys worth.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BubbleHead said:
Any updates yet??
planning on installing the new battery tomorrow while the new wife is away.

if I did anything sooner it would have been :nuts:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts