Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there had problems with their climate control ?
Mine functions, but the illumination has gone out and want to replace.
Dealer price quoted with labor over $700 bucks ??!!
Are they high ?? WTF..

Anyone out there know of other cheaper sources ?

Ridiculous to spend that kind of money for this issue, but would be nice to see the climate control at night etc..

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
You could buy a new head unit from ebay or www.gmpartsdirect.com for a considerable savings, where the new head unit is $230 shipped. the install is very simple. Let me know if you need help.

They don't call them stealerships for nothing and the extra benefit of knowing it won't come home with another problem for them to solve is very comforting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
contact Dave inkeles at 700 900 1673
he will fix your control and put in beautiful led lights for around $130. Send him your radio at the same time. Amazing lights. Text is easier. He gives you directions on how to take them out. 123.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The repair can be easy to do if you are ok with using a solder iron. Usually you find the solder points on the LED screen are not making contact and just need to be redone. If you go the LED upgrade like ypdc7 is talking about, who ever does it will check those points usually for you. I had that done once but had trouble with the resister on the LED light blowing after a few months. They did fix it for free, but just to let you know it can happen. It does look nice when it is done. Problem I had went a little farther after I had the lights fixed on mine and I had to replace the whole unit. After a little research I found a listing ebay for a complete rebuilt unit. It was listed for $425 but there was a core refund for up to $200 if you sent it back. So for $225 I got a unit that looked brand new. It had the original light and new buttons. Had it for 4 years now with no troubles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The repair can be easy to do if you are ok with using a solder iron. Usually you find the solder points on the LED screen are not making contact and just need to be redone. If you go the LED upgrade like ypdc7 is talking about, who ever does it will check those points usually for you. I had that done once but had trouble with the resister on the LED light blowing after a few months. They did fix it for free, but just to let you know it can happen. It does look nice when it is done. Problem I had went a little farther after I had the lights fixed on mine and I had to replace the whole unit. After a little research I found a listing ebay for a complete rebuilt unit. It was listed for $425 but there was a core refund for up to $200 if you sent it back. So for $225 I got a unit that looked brand new. It had the original light and new buttons. Had it for 4 years now with no troubles.
Toolman,I might have to replace my whole unit because ac keeps cutting out. Already replaced all of ac. Also after pulling fuses and pulling positive on my battery as I was told to do it got worse. lights on radio ,climate control and odometer are blinking for several minutes. First my ac was cutting out. now it still cuts out but I have blinking lights.. Can you give me info on where to buy new unit.?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried to look back on my ebay purchases, but it did not go back far enough to sure this was the person I used. I believe his is the company I used:
Chevrolet Corvette Digital Auto Climate Control Rebuilt 97 98 99 00 01 02 03 04 | eBay
You can look for others that may do this but you want a complete rebuilt unit not just lights and led panel fix.
I can tell you when I got the unit it looked brand new on the face and worked perfect. Hope this helped

1 - 6 of 6 Posts