Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a tough one. My 2001 C5 with 35K original miles that I purchased almost 20 years ago has been sitting mostly idle for several years. It runs perfectly and I do drive it occasionally but health conditions related to my wife prevent me from using and enjoying it. It has 35,000 miles on it now and for the third time the blower motor for the HVAC had a mouse nest in it. I took the blower out and cleaned out the nest. I tested the motor and it works fine. Actually what I did was to start the A/C with the motor out before I reinstalled it. I put everything back together. When I start the AC I can hear the compressor and the blower kick in but after a short while everything shuts down and I believe the blower motor stops but can't be sure due to background noise. I can set the fan speed control, temperature, auto feature, and more from the control panel but when I release the button the display simply shows an outside temp of 67 when its actually over 80 and I can not tell if the blower starts again. I let the car sit for a few minutes and the same thing repeats. It does not show what I would normally see on the display. Is there any hope this may just be something simple?

Some additional observations. Today I took another look. When the car starts all seems normal for a short time. There is never any air discharge from any inside duct even if the blower is running though I can't really tell if it's running. If I turn on the front defroster I can hear the 'director' door operate but still no air flow. I took the car for a drive and the temperature displays in the high 60's even though it's 90 outside. I believe I can hear the blower working on low and I know the AC is working because the evaporator tubing is cold. Does anyone know how to access the main air control vacuum motor? I have looked at images that show it near the oil pressure sensor but I can't even find that. Remember, there was a mouse nest in the blower. I believe there may be another blockage in the ducts or the vacuum line may be disconnected or damaged or worse. There could also be other damage and I really don't want to remove the dashboard unless I have to.

I did look at the DIC codes for the car though and it shows "99 HVAC No Codes". All the other codes were (H)istory. There are no active codes. I am considering resetting the HVAC unit by removing fuse 27 (I believe ) under the passenger side floorboard. One other strange thing started happening. When I start the car after being idle for a day or two the headlights pop up and stay up. I have to restart the car to get control back.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know you said the car started up, but what is the age and condition of the battery? A bad or old battery may start the car, but it can also cause weird problems in modern cars. The column lock problem that happens in many C5s can be traced back to a battery that seems to be fine but is really going bad. If the battery is old, you might start there first and replace it. I had a pickup truck 15 years ago that did some strange things that I could not figure out. It started right up, but some electrical items would quite working and then start working fine. It turned out to be the battery. Since you found a mouse nest in the car, there is a possibility they did something more then just make a nest. You will have to look over the wiring and the vacuum line to make sure they did not chew on them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery is on a maintenance trickle charger and although somewhat old seems fine. There is no sluggish or lagging when starting. I do have some issues after the car is not run for while though. When started it sometimes runs through the initial check and advises many things need attention. On a restart everything is fine. One thing that started recently is the headlamp doors pop up with the lights on and will only retract if I stop and start again. There is no wiring damage I can find though I have not removed the dashboard yet. I have removed the passenger side under dashboard coverings. I have been looking closer at the problem and now believe the blower is not actually working at all. I have been looking for a way to check the climate control speed control module to see if it's working but have been unsuccessful. When the weather cools a bit I will crawl under the dash and remove the blower motor again. Perhaps I pinched or did something that is causing the problem. Thanks for the suggestion and I will consider replacing the battery. Oh, I also reset the HVAC by removing the fuse for a few minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts