Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
86 Vette

Been doing a lot of work to get the car from dead to running, its basically right where i want it and its nice and healthy, I have been posting a lot of threads, but I am just going through all of my problems that I keep running into, seems like its never ending, but the car is 24 yrs new lol. Anyways, the Interior Lights for the letters are illuminated on the AC/Heater Controls, but the Display for the temp/fan speed etc is not lit up, and as for the buttons there are no orange lights indicating that the unit is even working... where should i start for the troubleshooting? Haynes manuals are ridiculous. Any ideas?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I copied this from the corvette guru website: Start by removing the lid to the arm rest center console (4 bolts). Do not remove the wires. Just tuck the arm rest lid behind the seat out of the way. Next, empty the center consol contents and lift up the carpet liner inside to expose the two screws at the rear of the shifter plate. Also remove the cup holder inserts.

Remove the two rear shifter plate screws and the one screw under the cup holder. Pull the gear shifter to rear and slide the shifter consol plate back exposing the screws attaching the bottom of the climate control panel/radio trim plate. You should not have to remove the gear shift knob. There is room to move the shift consol back enough to see the screws.

Remove the screws from the bottom of the climate control trim plate. Next, remove the central A/C vent (2 screws) above the climate control. When that's done, you'll see a third screw that's holding the top of the radio/CC trim piece in that needs to be removed.

After that trim piece is off, you'll notice the two bolts holding the CC unit in place, remove them. The unit will now slide straight out, and you can unplug it from the wiring harness in the rear by squeezing the top of the plug to release the plug clip and work the plug out.

Take the CC unit inside to a clean well lit place to work on it. There will be 6 “small” 3/16” bolts that need to come out. One tip I can give you is this - when you've get all 6 removed (two on the back surface, and 4around the perimeter), point the face of the CC unit towards the ground while separating the two halves - you don't want the individual buttons to fall all over the place. With that complete, you will be able to remove the internals. There will be 2 circuit boards joined like a "T". They simply unplug by pulling the two of them apart. Disconnect the small wiring harness and set the larger of the two circuit boards aside.

Holding the control button unit CAREFULLY remove the 4 light bulbs (will look like grey plastic plugs from the back) with a skinny flathead screwdriver - they should take about a 1/4 turn counterclockwise to "unlock." There are two small 3/16” screws in the center of the circuit board holding it to the button holder case, remove them. Lift off the green circuit board and gray rubber contact pad from the buttons. Lay the button holder off to the side. Do not turn it over or the buttons will fall out.

Proceed with cleaning the button contacts on the green board and the gray rubber. All I did was “lightly” go over the contact circuit points (you'll be able to tell what I'm talking about when you have it apart) with a “soft” clean pencil eraser, and then give it a good wipe with some Isopropyl Alcohol pads. After it's dry re-assemble and head back to the car, plug it in to the wiring harness for a test - it should work as new!

Re-assemble all other trim pieces, etc. in the order they were removed. Shouldn't take more than an hour...maybe a tick more depending on how careful you are. It really “IS” an easy job

I cleaned the contacts on my 88 a couple of times but ended up finally getting a new head unit.

Hope this helps.

Ron
"Baldie88"

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet thanks, hopefully is just needs a cleanin.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
You really need to invest in an FSM. It will help you alot more than the Haynes.:thumbsup:
:agree:

It's well worth the money. especially where you are starting out at.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i did all of those procedures with no luck.. i still get back lighting but no LCD display and no orange lights on the buttons indicating that the unit even works, the wiring from the switch looked good, maybe the CC unit is just gone huh? any other places i should check? 25amp fuse is ok and in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts