Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
El☠Diablo;1851281 said:
i have a question sometimes when i come to a somewhat hard stop i hear a clunk comming from the rear of the car but if i come to a slow stop no clunk at all , it doesnt clunk when i accelerate or when i go in reverse only when i stop , what can it be?
It happens with auto trans cars. Insure that the base idle is correct.

If your a 2 foot driver with an auto trans be sure to get off the throttle when braking.

Otherwise you may want to check the C beam bolts + the carrier support & dog bone bushings for wear, softness due to oil soaking or dry/brittle due to age or high milage.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Had exactly the same.
Mine went away when I installed new diff gears and rebuilt the diff so I can only assume it was free play in the diff

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
El☠Diablo;1851373 said:
so your saying my differential is shot???
Not shot , just worn
Mine had a acceptable amount of free play on the pinion yoke , didn't make any other noises and was running 1.7X 60 foot times at the strip for 5 years without problems.
Just had the clunk noise you describe

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not shot , just worn
Mine had a acceptable amount of free play on the pinion yoke , didn't make any other noises and was running 1.7X 60 foot times at the strip for 5 years without problems.
Just had the clunk noise you describe
did your make the noise on take off?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
El☠Diablo;1851379 said:
did your make the noise on take off?
Only when coming to a dead stop

·
Registered
267 Posts
Probably raising the rear and turnig wheels by hand you can feel the play,may be a worn out u-joint at driveshaft?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
El☠Diablo;1851394 said:
well how can i test if this is the problem?
how many miles on your car? I'd look at the Cbeam, U joints, shocks, brake callipers for looseness and exhaust hitting before worrying about rear end wear. Not saying it won't be worn pinnions, but there are a lot of other options to look at first.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i agree with you guys im going to look at all other option before worrying about the differential , my car has 138,k i lifted it and moved the wheels for play and there is no play in the outer u joints or the rear u joints there is some play behind the tranny but some play is normal there , i kinda inspected the bushings and they are looking worn and dry cracked , ill be inspecting them and the tranny mount a little more closely today , and ill let you know what i find , maybe motor mounts or a tranny mount hopefully , because it vibrates when i put it in reverse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts