Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a stock clutch acting up yet on a C6? I have about 23K on the car and it is getting to be a bit grabby, not as smooth, but no slippage/chatter etc.

I hammer it a lot but don't bang gears much at all for two reasons: first, it is a daily driver and secondly after the 'company car' it feels slow and there is less need so to speak.

Back to the clutch: I still say C5/6 clutch, trannie and differentials are just about awful. The C4 with the manual was bullet proof.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Only 5K on mine, and after changing the clutch spring to the C5 version, far, far better control. I only get on it hard off the line on the rare occaision, so don't really expect a problem. The clutch disc is a wear item, that being said, so your results may vary...:lookinup: But the spring change is a MUST. :cheers:

·
Registered
210 Posts
My C5 was an M6 and I nothing but troible from it. Mostly clutch sticking to the floor and when it did-it really did it. Sometimes I had to use my toes to pull the pedal back up! The dealer replaced the press. plate, disc, etc and that helped but it still stuck sometimes. I got the A4 in the C6 because of this.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Anybody have a stock clutch acting up yet on a C6? I have about 23K on the car and it is getting to be a bit grabby, not as smooth, but no slippage/chatter etc.

I hammer it a lot but don't bang gears much at all for two reasons: first, it is a daily driver and secondly after the 'company car' it feels slow and there is less need so to speak.

Back to the clutch: I still say C5/6 clutch, trannie and differentials are just about awful. The C4 with the manual was bullet proof.
Here is a link that maybe of some help if you have not serviced your clutch fluid. It helped resolve the issues we had with my son's 07 six speed 19K miles

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tommy good stuff but I am forced to add to it - - first, the GM junk hydraulic clutch fluid) is part #12345347. Do not use it!

I am sure the fluid you use worked fine and I would suggest what we had to use in C4's as an alternative and that was the Valvoline Synthetic. I should also add that if possible when you do the synthetic you should do the below steps and then re-change the fluid in the res as often not all fluids will blend.

Lastly, if you really want to 'mix' and mini bleed the fluids all at once get on a steep slope with the nose in pointing up and work the clutch about 30 times SLOWLY and then turn the car around and do the same with the rear in the air.

You must do this slowly to avoid micro-bubbles.

In closing, we never had this problem with the old mechanical linkages did we?

I remain convinced that they went to hydraulics to make things easier to route for the engineers.

Thanks for the post, it is very good.

'dog

PS- GM clutches are still crap since the C4 :down: :down:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
07 z 23k on it .lotsa drag strip runs, 3 road courses hot city driving and many speed shifts.no problems. i ve changed the fluid 4 times [motul 600 ]

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Motul is excellent stuff but very hard to find - - where do you get it?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Oh man, I've been waiting for someone else to post this type of thread. I've got 23,746 and I'm having some chatter and grab issues. I've not driven it in a week cause it's frustrating. When i let off the clutch in any gear there is a single "thunk" type sound. Even reverse. Taking off is difficult to do with any smoothness unless I'm going for a quick take off. I'm thinking about taking it in while it's under warranty. What about you?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been procrastinating about doing this for some time now. I've been having some very minor clutch issues and have been thinking it was time for a change. After reading this thread and having nothing better to do I went and looked at my fluid. It was black. I only have 5000 miles on the car! Went for a cruize, picked up some new fluid and changed it out. Actually, I did Ranger's procedure three times. Probably could have done it a couple more but I was ready for a beer. Sometimes you have to readjust your priorities on the fly.....

Went for a test drive and things are working much better. I'll give it another month and change it again before I have to let her hibernate. Damn winter.

BTW - the turkey baster method sucks (no pun intended). Couldn't find the syringe today but I would recommend finding one instead of using the turkey baster.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Tommy good stuff but I am forced to add to it - - first, the GM junk hydraulic clutch fluid) is part #12345347. Do not use it!

I am sure the fluid you use worked fine and I would suggest what we had to use in C4's as an alternative and that was the Valvoline Synthetic. I should also add that if possible when you do the synthetic you should do the below steps and then re-change the fluid in the res as often not all fluids will blend.

Lastly, if you really want to 'mix' and mini bleed the fluids all at once get on a steep slope with the nose in pointing up and work the clutch about 30 times SLOWLY and then turn the car around and do the same with the rear in the air.

You must do this slowly to avoid micro-bubbles.

In closing, we never had this problem with the old mechanical linkages did we?

I remain convinced that they went to hydraulics to make things easier to route for the engineers.

Thanks for the post, it is very good.

'dog

PS- GM clutches are still crap since the C4 :down: :down:

Hey Olddog,

Thanks, we'll have to add your advice to our fluid changing schedule. :thumbsup:

Yup, never, ever had a problem with old the mechanical linkage. But we will not count those new types that use clutch quadrants :laughing:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts