Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - I have recently migrated over to this forum.

Been a member here for a short while.

I have been slowly going thru my '79 L82 4 speed and I am now to the point of replacing my clutch. It would sit and idle in 3rd gear - I would say it was past worn out.

Now that I am in there - I was wondering what kind of clutch to buy?

I also am going to have a tranny shop "freshen" my tranny before re-install and of course clean everything digilantely.

Also - I started wondering if I had a 1 piece or 2 piece rear main seal and should I replace it if it is only leaking a drop or not leaking at all - I know the answer if it is pouring oil.

Thanks in advance,
Skydaddy

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Guys - I have recently migrated over to this forum.

Been a member here for a short while.

I have been slowly going thru my '79 L82 4 speed and I am now to the point of replacing my clutch. It would sit and idle in 3rd gear - I would say it was past worn out.

Now that I am in there - I was wondering what kind of clutch to buy?

I also am going to have a tranny shop "freshen" my tranny before re-install and of course clean everything digilantely.

Also - I started wondering if I had a 1 piece or 2 piece rear main seal and should I replace it if it is only leaking a drop or not leaking at all - I know the answer if it is pouring oil.

Thanks in advance,
Skydaddy
If you have stock HP, and the clutch served you well, I would just get a stock unit from a local supplier.
As for the main seal, you can always replace it later when it leaks. It won't be easier/harder later.
It's a two piece seal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks big bird,

you have helped me in the past with some diagnostic advice on another problem that I was having.

I have only had this car for about 2 years and I work on it on and off. Most of the time it is sitting in my garage apart waiting on me to have enough time to fix something.

The clutch started slipping shortly after I got it home - I figure that I started driving a car that had been sitting up for 8 years (po only put 400 miles on the car). It may have been the reason that he parked it. And I have probably only put 500 miles on it since I have owned it.

Any way - the car is slightly/lightly modded but I tend to like to drive a little hard - Past cars - I have been a little hard on the clutch and transmissions.

I have had a good track record with the service from Jegs and Summit but am not tied to them for a product.

I was leaning toward a hays - street kit but am not 100% sure

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang - all you guys are over here

That was another one that I was considering. But did not want to get something that would not be a good fit for the car.

One thing that I should consider is hard launches - I kind of like being quick off the line but that is about the extent - this car is a cruiser that I want to look and sound good but have the punch when I need and want it.

Thanks for the comment

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like my McLeod setup... oh and on those quick launches... you want to forget about that until you get about 500 miles on that new clutch.

I did the main seal at the same time I put the new clutch in but then I was doing a body off and just figured I'd do it and be done with it.

kdlp

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kdlp

what engine and mods do you have
and how would you rate a McLeod kit vs a stock cluth set up

Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a Hays street/strip pressure plate with a McLeod dual surface (organic/kevlar) disc. I've had it behind my 454 for years and years and never any problems. Very smooth engagement and does not slip with 550+ ft-lbs torque.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zwede,
I know very little about clutches - I am trying to educate myself through this process.
Would your set up be too much behind a slightly/lightly modded 350 - I would say that I am approaching 275-300rwhp

·
Registered
96 Posts
kdlp

what engine and mods do you have
and how would you rate a McLeod kit vs a stock cluth set up

Thanks
Sky,

I'm running a Gen 1 SBC with Edelbrock aluminum heads, headers, bored .005 over (355), mildly cammed. The dyno on the engine (not chassis) put it at 406 h.p.

I'm also running the original (1981) 4 spd and rear end with stock wheels/tires...

As for comparing it to stock, well let's say that the clutch when I got the car wasn't stellar. The engine was fresh (all the work just done) but I think the seller had run out of $$$ or interest or both. The Mcleod pressure plate/clutch is way better than how I bought it, but I don't think it's probably fair to compare it to a new stock setup.

By the way, here's where I got my pieces:

http://www.darkhorseperformance.com/

Hope that helps....

kdlp

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
A stock replacement clutch will be more than fine for a 79 L82. Now is the best time to replace the rms and the oil pan gasket (the felpro 1pc gasket is great).... I'd hate to open it again if it starts leaking in a few months...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks kdlp
That is the direction that I am heading with engine - it just cannot be done all at once on my budget - kind of like a rolling resto.
As I stated earlier - I am trying to learn what is appropriate - can I get too much or too little clutch for an application? - just want to make sure that I get what I need and want. I will have the flywheel resurfaced and inspected before it is reinstalled as well.

MYBAD79
That is the direction that I am heading - while it is up in the air. Like you said - easier to do it now than have to go back in and do it later. Although - if the rms is not bad - I prob will not touch it. the oil pan gasket will def be replaced - prob go with felpro on all gaskets and seals - had good luck with them so far.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Thanks kdlp
That is the direction that I am heading with engine - it just cannot be done all at once on my budget - kind of like a rolling resto.
As I stated earlier - I am trying to learn what is appropriate - can I get too much or too little clutch for an application? - just want to make sure that I get what I need and want. I will have the flywheel resurfaced and inspected before it is reinstalled as well.

MYBAD79
That is the direction that I am heading - while it is up in the air. Like you said - easier to do it now than have to go back in and do it later. Although - if the rms is not bad - I prob will not touch it. the oil pan gasket will def be replaced - prob go with felpro on all gaskets and seals - had good luck with them so far.
If your going to replace the pan gasket, the rear seal is just 1 more step. Use the GM seal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts