Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor w/ an '06 C6 coupe came over and said that his clutch was staying on the floor yesterday. He had to toe it back up as he was driving. The solution was to bleed and replace the clutch fluid as it had become "dirty". The dealer told him DOT4 fluid was the product and to keep a close eye on it. He only has 13k on the car, has a few mods and runs timeshots every weekend. Could that be a factor, and has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
This is a common problem. You should siphon and replace clutch fluid as soon as it begins to discolor.

I use a turkey baster siphon but a friend use aquarium tubing as as siphon:thumbsup:

I run Motul 600o clutch/brake fluid and bleed/change after every track day.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
That should get the majority of it out. If you want to clean it all out, siphon as much as you can, refill, bleed from the slave cylinder (should be a bleeder just like on your brake calipers), and top off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was going thru my 06 and noticed the fluid was relly low and it was really dirty and sticky in there. I went ahead with a paper towel and brake cleaner to clean out the resivior and then refilled it with new 600 Motul. Works fine.

If this seems to be the norm, everyone should go out and check thiers.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I was going thru my 06 and noticed the fluid was relly low and it was really dirty and sticky in there. I went ahead with a paper towel and brake cleaner to clean out the resivior and then refilled it with new 600 Motul. Works fine.

If this seems to be the norm, everyone should go out and check thiers.

:agree:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i knew you guys would come thru with info. Thanks. I also heard that siphoning it out, refilling, and then pumping it will bring the dirty product to the top and you might have to re-siphon to get all the contaminant out.Yes?

·
Registered
296 Posts
yes, that's it. I let mine go for almost 8 months before the siphon/swap but started doing it about once a week and it's been looking like new fluid for the last couple months.

steve

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I haven't a clue as to why it gets dirty as the system is closed. On C4's the lining would degrade into the fluid and I went from the GM stuff to Valvoline synthetic fluid and did a reverse bleed with an injector unit.

No more problems - - haven't looked at the C6 since I have had the car. Probably should but it is racing season and the 'company car' gets all of the attention now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts