Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well a couple of weeks ago i went to shift from 1st to 2nd and felt a pop when i pressed in the clutch. after that when i pressed the clutch i could feel some thing scraping the fingers of the pressure plate. i assumed that the throw out bearing came apart and the fork was doing the scraping. well after i got it apart i was correct. seems the c4 trowout bearing is prone to this problem. ne way i ordered a new clutch assembly and a fidanza flywheel and got me a tranny jack for my first clutch install. didn't find much info so i figure i would do a write up while it is fresh in my head.....here goes

1. jack car up and put on ramps/jackstand. needs at least a foot of clearance, more if going to take tranny out from under the car.
2. remove exhaust system. first remove 6 nuts holding the pipes to the headers. then the middle section by the cat. with this remove you can lower the whole system and pull the mufflers out of their hangers.
3. now the fun part the c brace. you will need to prop the tranny up with the tranny jack....got mine from harbor frieght for 79.00.....and loosen the 4 bolts. there is 2 19mm bolts up front and 2 21mm ones in the back. i went to sears and fouind racheting wrench with these two sizes that was small enuff to get in there for 9.00. after i got the bolts out i slid the brace back to clear the tranny as removing seemed impossible anyway.
4. undo the for bolts holding the straps on the drive shaft. you will have to pry it forward to get it off the yoke. then slide it out and remove. oil will drain out the end of the tranny here so have a pan of some sort.
5. now you will need to remove the shift knob and console pieces around it. there is just a couple screws in the console but the shifter a bit tricky. you need to pry the top off and then you will see a metal wedge. grab this with some pliers and pull up. now the knob will unscrew. under that you will see the black plastic ring you pull up on to get it in reverse. there is a 1.5 mm allen screw in it you have to take out to get it off. now you can remove the console piece. put car in 3rd gear.
6. it is a good idea to remove distributor as when you lower the tranny/motor you run the risk of breaking it. also you can lower everything lower with it out which make bolt access much easier. just pull plug wires and undo tach,battery and signal wires from driver sideand the plug from passenger side. undo 14mm hold down nut and mark position with sharpie....if you dont do this you will have to get the car on tdc and re set it.
7. undo the 2 nuts holding the slave cylinder to clutch housing and tie cylinder up out of way. undo all wires going to tranny
8. undo the 5 tranny bolts and pull tranny out of clutch/flywheel. once out far enough lower it down to clear shift knob and then it out.
9. next you will need to remove the four bolts in the clutch inspection cover. you will have to lower starter to total remove cover from car.
10. next undo the 6 bolts holding the clutch bell houseing cover and remove it
11. now you are looking at the pressure plate and it it still there in one piece the trow out bearing. remove the bolts connecting the pressure plate to the flywheel. go a little at a time as it is under pressure. once they backed out enough that pressure is relieved you can remove the bolts. plate will fall if not holding it up when last bolt removed.
12. next comes the flywheel. 6 bolts and remove. i needed a impact here as crank turned otherwise.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Can't wait to see the pics....

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the problem

cause fork to rub pressure plte sping fingers

so...up she goes

and out the tranny comes