Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on a Z06 in the near future and would like some input on the clutch.

Understanding the fact that everyone drives different, what kind of life have you gotten? 10k,20k 30k or more and how do you drive?

Does the stock clutch hold up well to hard use such as hi rpm launches, power shifts, drag racing?

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Well I guess it all depends on how you drive. I had a clutch that lasted over 7 years and 245,000 miles. Power shifts on any clutch will shorten it's life span. The stock clutch on the Z06 is a very good one but like all things does have its limitations. A few drag races here and there isn't going to hurt it all that much. If you are looking to drag race and power shift alot I would definately upgrade the clutch. But use the stock one until it's totaly shot. You should get alot of miles out it.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ponch, I had a '89 IROC-Z and only got about 15K out of the stock clutch. The aftermarket one was still going strong at 90K when the car was totaled.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
I'm certain that you can get a ton of miles on a stock clutch but it does depend on how you drive it.

Just a tip: Don't let Patrick drive your car. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the latest issue of Corvette Magazine, a gentleman writes a letter to the editor thanking them for detailing the process for replacing the clutch in a C5. This guy has put 135,000 miles on the original clutch in his C5. Mine has 90,000 miles on the original clutch and is showing NO signs of wear.

These are not Z06s, mind you, but I think it still says something about the life of the stock clutches in our late-model Vettes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts