Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Once again, "Hawaiian Punch"
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, hope everything’s going good with you guy's and gals out there.
As for me, life is sucking at the moment, I’m seriously thinking of selling the car, to much headache for this “old” person to take already.

Here’s my latest problem, it’s a dosy.

I’m getting a code 43, knock sensor, also I’ve been getting off and on, a code 22 tps, now, at the beginning, I had first got the code 22, I cleared it thinking that the tps was adjusted incorrectly, it was, then I received a code 41 and a code 22, checked and cleared, I received another code 22 again, I checked and rechecked that damn thing again, code cleared, now let me tell you that all of theses sensor’s are less then a year old, some are only a few months old, back to the story.

I receive a code 43 about 5 to 8 more times, I finally went back under the car and changed out the wire thinking that maybe the wire was bad or something like that, I clear the code.

Today I received 3 more code 43 and with the 3rd code 43, I have an additional code’s of 21 (signal High voltage) tpi and code 33 map sensors (signal high voltage)

I finally gave up and decided to write to you for some help. You’re also probably wondering why didn’t I just change out the knock sensor, right? Well, I’m not 100% sure that, that’s the problem, like I said earlier, all the sensor’s has been changed out recently, and I also keep getting all sort’s of codes along with the knock sensor code.

Is it possible that the knock sensor is also interfering with the others’ causing them to throw a code to?

One more thing, today when it threw it’s first code of the day, I had parked it for about an hour, then started it up, the car was spitting and spattering all over the place when it finally died, I tried to start it again, and it started up as thought nothing was wrong with it, the car does run badly when the code appears, and the idling is a little choppy.

On the last time when I got all of those other codes, I had come to a stop light, then started off again when the car did the spitting sputtering thing again and nearly died out, but fortunately, I kept it running, and like a switch, it suddenly ran fine other then the rough idling that it does when the codes show up.

I know that this is a long one, but can you please help me? I’m really seriously like I had mentioned earlier to sell the damn thing; it’s not worth it any more to me.

Aloha,

Kalani (Da Hawaiian Punch)

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,412 Posts
Sorry to hear about all you code problems. I know we have a few mechanics on here that might be able to help. If not, do you have a freind wight a '91. If so, you could park side by side and change the sensors out one at a time until the problem changed cars. I know that isn't the most technical way to do it, but sometime that's what it comes down to

·
Registered
108 Posts
If the 5.7 is the same as the 4.3 V6 there are two knock sensors, one on each side of the block. I found out the hard way when I changed them out on my old Astro van. Of course I replaced the good one first becasue it was the easiest one to get to. Good luck with your problem. If all else fails, get in good with someone down at your local GM dealer. Some of them guys and gals are great and more than happy to help with tech advice.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Marty I said:
If the 5.7 is the same as the 4.3 V6 there are two knock sensors, one on each side of the block. I found out the hard way when I changed them out on my old Astro van. Of course I replaced the good one first becasue it was the easiest one to get to. Good luck with your problem. If all else fails, get in good with someone down at your local GM dealer. Some of them guys and gals are great and more than happy to help with tech advice.
on 92 and newer there are 2 knock sensors

on the 91 and older there is only one

·
Once again, "Hawaiian Punch"
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hawaiian Punch said:
Hi there, hope everything’s going good with you guy's and gals out there.
As for me, life is sucking at the moment, I’m seriously thinking of selling the car, to much headache for this “old” person to take already.

Here’s my latest problem, it’s a dosy.

I’m getting a code 43, knock sensor, also I’ve been getting off and on, a code 22 tps, now, at the beginning, I had first got the code 22, I cleared it thinking that the tps was adjusted incorrectly, it was, then I received a code 41 and a code 22, checked and cleared, I received another code 22 again, I checked and rechecked that damn thing again, code cleared, now let me tell you that all of theses sensor’s are less then a year old, some are only a few months old, back to the story.

I receive a code 43 about 5 to 8 more times, I finally went back under the car and changed out the wire thinking that maybe the wire was bad or something like that, I clear the code.

Today I received 3 more code 43 and with the 3rd code 43, I have an additional code’s of 21 (signal High voltage) tpi and code 33 map sensors (signal high voltage)

I finally gave up and decided to write to you for some help. You’re also probably wondering why didn’t I just change out the knock sensor, right? Well, I’m not 100% sure that, that’s the problem, like I said earlier, all the sensor’s has been changed out recently, and I also keep getting all sort’s of codes along with the knock sensor code.

Is it possible that the knock sensor is also interfering with the others’ causing them to throw a code to?

One more thing, today when it threw it’s first code of the day, I had parked it for about an hour, then started it up, the car was spitting and spattering all over the place when it finally died, I tried to start it again, and it started up as thought nothing was wrong with it, the car does run badly when the code appears, and the idling is a little choppy.

On the last time when I got all of those other codes, I had come to a stop light, then started off again when the car did the spitting sputtering thing again and nearly died out, but fortunately, I kept it running, and like a switch, it suddenly ran fine other then the rough idling that it does when the codes show up.

I know that this is a long one, but can you please help me? I’m really seriously like I had mentioned earlier to sell the damn thing; it’s not worth it any more to me.

Aloha,

Kalani (Da Hawaiian Punch)
O.K, up date, I just went ahead and changed out the knock sensor, seems that it worked, but to make sure, I'll drive a little more before I start declaring a victory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts