Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm about fed up with these rear springs. And I can't see dropping 300 dollars on a spring when I can do coil overs for about that.

It seems like some people use the stock mounts. They would probably be strong enough for ahwile untill I can get the TA's apart.

I'm not wanted to take the whole rear end apart just yet.

I would probably use a 7" rear stroke correct?

I found afco bearing end shocks on sale for 25 dollars

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
300$ for coil overs? yes, for the springs, you must get the shocks for free

No way you can use the stock shock mount, it'll snap for sure. You can use the stock frame mount but I would reinforce that also.

No need to take the rear end apart, all you need is to weld a shock mount on the trailing arm.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could easily get them for around 300. I try to find stuff as cheap as possible.

Right now I can get them for this price

Afco coil over shocks 5/5 valving 50$ for 2
2 afco springs for 80$

That leaves me 170 to get the coil over kits, the necessary brackets and cover shipping.

I wasn't thinking the stock mounts would be the greatest idea. I was planning on have my slave gusset the upper mounts so I could take pictures of it and claim I did it. ;)

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
What stroke & extended and collapsed length are they? Threaded body shocks? 50$ a pair? Probably normal body shocks needing threaded adapters right?

Take some pics of your slave's welding while you're at it...so we can judge if it's safe.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What stroke & extended and collapsed length are they? Threaded body shocks? 50$ a pair? Probably normal body shocks needing threaded adapters right?

Take some pics of your slave's welding while you're at it...so we can judge if it's safe.
I should be coming home soon. Or I can bring my moms fancy camera down there. I'm waiting for the front leaves to arrive.

Also remember the welds I posted before were with regular wire and no gas.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Can't use the long ones, the stroke has to match the suspension, if you use too ,long ones you have to turn the adjuster down too far and when the susp. unloads the spring will sit loose between the ring and hat.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
no problem. just don't use the stock shock mount, you're too young to die LOL

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll do them like this

Looks like 1/4 inch

I'll probably get some square tubing and get started hopefully tomorrow. This is so depressing spending my money. :(

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
OK, now we into one of the reasons I"m here, I need an edjemakashun

just what/how does this coil over exactly act differantly than my current VBP plastic spring at 360 lbs, and my new Bill Stein shocks??

what could I expect from THIS coil over, as opposed to say, taking the plastic spring off, and just sticking a pair of coils on the stock T arm location, fasten a bracket to the rear of the T arm and trap a spring in there....

another thing, does it really matter all that much the coil has to be around the shock??

I remember talking with someone long tyme ago on this topic, and they said like in the front end, the coil is concentric with the shock, so there was no particular advantage to putting the coil over the shock in that situation...so what would be the situation in the rear??

what would be the expected theoretical gains for the OP's proposal, and what would be the same comments about MY ideas for the rear???

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to be able to adjust the ride height. I can also change spring rates easily

Plus it seems like the leaf springs break all the time lol

And it saves some weight over a steel leaf

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I want to be able to adjust the ride height. I can also change spring rates easily

Plus it seems like the leaf springs break all the time lol

And it saves some weight over a steel leaf
Well with the spring/bolts I have, I can adj ride height easy enough...cna't do much for spring rate though....I understand there are kits for that ....

MY plastic spring has been in there 12 years now...knock on wood....

anything beats that 80 lbs? steel spring, gotta be TT to lift the damn thing,

:D

·
Registered
959 Posts
with 15 inch wheels you can't really adjust the ride height at all

A. there are other ways to lower a car besides spring bolts

B. "spring changes"?? are you a good enough driver to know how to pick springs??
...redvetracr

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Well I'm about fed up with these rear springs. And I can't see dropping 300 dollars on a spring when I can do coil overs for about that.

It seems like some people use the stock mounts. They would probably be strong enough for ahwile untill I can get the TA's apart.

I'm not wanted to take the whole rear end apart just yet.

I would probably use a 7" rear stroke correct?

I found afco bearing end shocks on sale for 25 dollars

I have read on further then this so it might already have been covered.

You do NOT want 7 inch stroke. You WANT 5 inch stroke and the shortest shock you can get.
The 5 inch travel shock will give you 7 inch wheel travel and you will run into both stops on the wheel before running out of shock travel.
A 7 inch shock is has it's lower mount almost on the ground. A 5 inch shock fits inside the wheel.
5 inch shocks.

Next the upper mount is in the right location but you need to make a better mount. I cut the stock upper off and make a pillet steel one, plated part of the frame and welded the billet on. Yes some run the lower shock mount but to me the little "D" will not hold up to the pounding. I made a mount and welded it to the trailing arm.
Also save money and buy 450 pound 10 inch springs for the back.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts