Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a while since I have posted on the progress of the 71 project. Been working on grafting a cowl induction hood scoop on it. I hate body work it takes so much time and waiting.

This is a later model longer hood on a 71 with all the wiper door and related equipment removed, no hood latches just the 2 pins.

A 2' scoop from JEG's.

The reason for doing this is I installed a low profile roots blower and wanted it to be stealth and have cold air intake all so.

Air cleaner in hood.
Carb with hood closed.

Air cleaner mounts from bottom of hood, pictures of that later.

Scoop trimmed and temporarily screwed in place.

After a quart of resin and 2 yards of glass cloth. This is all new to me.

I'm sure Jason is going to tell me I need some paint.

More on the air cleaner and work on the under side of the hood as I progress...

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
that looks pretty sweet! whats the purpose of cutting a hole for the carb?
Air goes in the cowl at the windshield, through the filter, and into the carb.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
855 Posts
took me a while to figure out your air flow & filter...but if I understand correctly you have blocked off the raised part of the rear of the hood you added to the original hood and then the air is coming from under the original hood cowl induction where you cut the hole for the air filter.

I like your idea and nothing kills HP more easily than hot air into an engine.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Nice Job! I commend you for going for it on the body work! I would love to try that! Need to get a garage first...:laughing:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
you need some paint on that thing ;):laughing:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put the last layer of glass on the underside of the hood today, and finished the air cleaner mount will try to get pictures of it up tomorrow. Thank for the words of encouragement, I really need them when I do body work.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You must be running solid motor mounts. Do you think chassis/body flex will/might be a problem? The hole in the hood for the carb looks the same size as the air filter mounting surface. No room for movement.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You must be running solid motor mounts. Do you think chassis/body flex will/might be a problem? The hole in the hood for the carb looks the same size as the air filter mounting surface. No room for movement.
The actual area between the carb and the hood has a foam seal around it, and about 1/2" clearance.

Sorry I don't have this completed with pictures yet, but the weather got cold and it takes a while to cure the resen. I can heat the shop to the 70 degs needed but being 22000 cu ft. tin shed it become cost prohibitive above 60 to 65 degs...:rolling::rolling:

And the grandson had to replace a piston in his jeep. Takeing up most of our time.

Plus I think I have about 10,000 hours of sanding in the hood and I'm just down to 320 wet or dry...still have 600 and 1000 to go. :rolling::rolling::rolling: Did I say before I hate paint and body work...:rolling::rolling::rolling:

·
DC Crew
3,082 Posts
IVAN

what happened to all the pictures ??? new rules about pictures or what?
btw I still would love to have that set up **:D

jim

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IVAN

what happened to all the pictures ??? new rules about pictures or what?
btw I still would love to have that set up **:D

jim
I don't know looks like photobucket blitzed them, will get them back up...

Here are a few shots on the car primed...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Hello iburke

Just wandering if you have made any progress on this cowl induction. I am interested in the filter and how it is installed. This may work for my 8.1L install. I have a 4 inch throttle body coming straight out the front of the intake and am planning on putting a L88 scoop on for clearance. I might be able to hook a hose up to the hood and use your filter idea. :cheers: Mark

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
:surprised :surprised :surprised :surprised :surprised

I see him every day !!

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
:surprised :surprised :surprised :surprised :surprised

I see him every day !!

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
:lookinup::lookinup::lookinup::lookinup::lookinup:

How about checking his PULSE for me!!

:WTF :cheers: Mark

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry I have been off for a few days. The hood seems to be working great. I had it on the track at topeka for about 10 or 15 laps and had no trouble with it.

What questions do you have? I will be more than happy to try to answer them.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Sorry I have been off for a few days. The hood seems to be working great. I had it on the track at topeka for about 10 or 15 laps and had no trouble with it.

What questions do you have? I will be more than happy to try to answer them.
Thanks iburke

I was interested in the details of the filter. How did you size it and mount it. I'am looking at using this design on my 8.1L install. I will have to connect my throttle body with the L88 scoop but I like the clean look. Anymore pictures? Thanks again Mark

1 - 20 of 29 Posts