Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
They call me, Hugh Huffner
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys~

Well.....I have been quite busy of late. Some Jacka$$ scratched up my paint in Dec.......so I went a little overboard. He ran his Toyota 4wd up on my nose only damaged paint ...the brush guard scraped the paint and giant chuncks came off (about 1/8 thick! Counted 4 paint jobs in there....s

Stripped the car down to Fiberglass (What a mess)
Replaced front bumper with Ecklers Unit (mine had a tear about 1/4 in long just above R side marker light. Couldn't be fixed right...it was a eurethane piece, plus it did not fit my fenders right)
Replaced Rear Bumper with Ecklers unit (I had a Urethane unit...a little wavy...new paint why not replace.
Replaced Right Rear Quarter with Ecklers unit. (Holey crappy repair. Quarter was toast! More bondo than a Ford Convention! Fount that out after stripping...YAY (not))

paid for about 100 hours of labor to date to fix body issues. (She was beat up under all the paint. Bondo people must DIE!) Ever seen drywall screws held in by some type of crappy filler...THAT NEVER properly cured...you could scrape it off with your fingernail. If I ever find the loser that did to to a Vette :nuts: !!!

Rebuilt Engine....bored to .060 full roller, new heads (ported polished) Found out my car had mismatched heads! One looked like a 327 head or very early 350. Valve sizes were good, and externall dimensions were good, but water inlets and castings were different!

New Steering box, Power Steering pump, Alt, Water Pump, Fuel pump, Carb Rebuild, Distributor, Plugs, Wires Crank, Timing chain and gears Etc.

Diff Rebuild, with 3.54's and all internals.

And Finally....

700R4 swap, with Bowtie Overdrives crossmember and install kit and Shiftworks shifter conversion.
Did you guys know that 81's with the electronic lockup THM 350 seem to be pre-wired for a 700r4? Cool huh? Driveshaft went off to be shortend/balanced yesterday.

Car is Sealed with DP90, and primed in Urethane primer, waiting for Mech to finish rear end, and put the carb, valve covers and vaccuum back on,

Then...she goes BACK to my body guy....for about 15 hours of prep sanding, and should be painted (a really bright Metallic Silver) and sprayed with House of Kolor Clear-next weekend.

Have restored the rockers, trim, and replaced most of my lights with new (old ones were scratched badly. Saved some, tossed some. Why is it so easy to find the reverse lamps, and NOT the tail lamps?

All told...this cost me double what I was planning to spend and I got a GREAT deal. (Being in the Military helps!) My wife is ready to kill me! However when she sees the car all will be well!

Met some cool people in this adventure. Anyone in PHX/Mesa that needs work done give me a call or PM me....I have some honest hardworking people that can do your Mechanical and Body....Best of all...they know what they are doing...AND won't rip you off!!!!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
wow, that's quite a project! Sounds like she'll be in fine form for the summer :thumbsup:

Post some pics when you get the chance

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will post pics when all done.....

Will give best shots. Funny, car is going to look nearly the same as when I started......just with perfect lines and paint.

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup! Will go MUCH GOODER!

Had slight delay creep up yesterday.

My old carb was shot! The needles were so worn they were barely there, and the inside of the housing was cracked, and had some type of putty substance to supposedly seal it up. I think we found what the nasty rubbery coating was all over the guts of the engine....Fuel/Oil Varnish. (ICK!)

It is hard to believe this engine ran reliably, AND passed smog...let alone ran at all.

I had a bent rod, worn out everything, mismatched heads, a stretched timing chain with splayed gears, a flatspotted cam, and a shot Carb!

Gotta love Chevy! Better than a timex!
With all those problems she would ALWAYS start on the fist crank, and purr like a kitten!

Now...it will be a completely totally different car! (With un-messed up guts!)

It'll go gooder...and be funner!:D

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh forgot to let this ouuta the bag earlier...

We also bumped the Compression ratio to 10.0 :1 !

I should be at almost 400 horses at the Crank. (Hoping)

Not sure....but the New carb, Cam, and heads will definitely give more Grunt!

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.