Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is that the Corvette isn't initially showed as concept car, too?
I mean, the SSR, the F-bodies, and the Solstice first all started as showcars. GM tested the public's reactions first before they got the green light.
I understand the Vette will be loved no matter what, but still we'd have a glimpse what might the next one be, and this way by judging the future customers' comments GM could still add a change or two before launching it.
Or is it the other way around like in the case of the Indy, the CERVIII and the StingrayIII "don't worry, the next one will not look anything like this"?
What do you think?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Concept cars are used to generate interest in a new, unseen car that GM (or any other manufacturer) might consider releasing. The Corvette already has interest, and even a cult following so-to-speak, so why waste the money in promoting it, which may or may not confuse the issue of what the next Corvette may look like. Since Vette owners are so passionate about their car, it's just easier on them to keep it a cleverly hidden secret, and announcing "here it is" at a specified time. In my book, it's just the smartest way to handle something as worshipped as the Vette.

·
Registered
0 Posts
alleydude said:
Concept cars are used to generate interest in a new, unseen car that GM (or any other manufacturer) might consider releasing. The Corvette already has interest, and even a cult following so-to-speak, so why waste the money in promoting it, which may or may not confuse the issue of what the next Corvette may look like. Since Vette owners are so passionate about their car, it's just easier on them to keep it a cleverly hidden secret, and announcing "here it is" at a specified time. In my book, it's just the smartest way to handle something as worshipped as the Vette.
Why did Mustang do this?:huh:

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
84 GRANDSPORT said:
Why did Mustang do this?:huh:
you have to look at the circumstance Ford is in...they had the firestone, 99 Cobra, and PAG....and they are trying to regain customer interest in there car lines...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand you guys, but how do you explain the Indy, CERVIII and the StingrayIII?
Why didn't GM just produce 'em in the first place? They were MORE than great, Ferrari and co ass kicker supercars!
What were their real purpose?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not into getting into any debate, just really would like to know:thumbsup:

I tellya, if the Mustang will not be what they showed last Detroit around, Ford will in serious trouble concerning that pony car.
By the way, why does Ford still getting involved into ponycar business while Camaro and Fbird is out of the game? Actually my question goes the other way around :huh:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cars like the Cerv's and Corvette Indy were test beds for new technologies. The Stingray III was a design exercise. Cars like these are all used at shows to generate interest and excitement in Chevy technology and it works. As for new models this is exactly what we will see in January. The cars themselves won't see the public until later next year.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Actually, they probably did. Those new technologies quite often made it into the new Vettes, and often the new Chevy line as well. They don't like to waste all the work, it's usually with a purpose in mind.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Zora always wanted a mid engined Vette, but GM never shared his excitement for it. It wouldn't surprise me if you see more mid engined concepts in the future.

Actually, much of the rear/mid engine technology was used on the mid-80's Corvette GTP.

·
Super Moderator
10,122 Posts
I agree with just about everything Alleydude says. The Corvette is such a trend setter, that if design development was open, other manufacturers would rush to incorporate some of the cues into their cheaper quick-turn cars - possibly even before the vette intro. When the C4 was introduced, a half dozen Japanese cars morphed the wheels into their production. Ford actually made hub cap in 14" versions for some of their compacts. The C5 wheel heavily influenced the Lexus G300/400 production. I'm sure there are other examples you can think of.

Bottom line, since the Mako Shark II / Manta Ray, the only vette concepts we have gotten to see have been testing the waters of acceptation for "radical-change" engineering concepts. The notable exceptions were the Stingray III and the Tiger Shark. The III was determined to look too much like the Viper. The Tiger - who knows? That book won't close until January.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the infos guys, you know here in Europe not many info about the vette arrives.
I never knew that Zora wanted a midengine layout. I'm with him then.:thumbsup:
It is the best layout a sportscar could have! What makes you say, that we are going to see more mid engined vettes?
I'd really like that!
There we go again, if the GTP was a racecar, and racecars are actually testbeds for future technologies, and it was mid engined, than how come that it never came to the streets?
Maybe i'm wrong, but the only mid engined GM is the Pontiac Fiero(?)

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
There we go again, if the GTP was a racecar, and racecars are actually testbeds for future technologies, and it was mid engined, than how come that it never came to the streets?
GM accountants.

·
Super Moderator
10,122 Posts
Andonis said:
Thanks for all the infos guys, you know here in Europe not many info about the vette arrives.
I never knew that Zora wanted a midengine layout. I'm with him then.:thumbsup:
You should try to pick up a book on Zora. He was a very interesting fellow. He was experimenting with mid-eingine, four wheel drive in the Cerv I back in the 60's. The GM marketing has always been the excuse for not producing a mid engine - if you believe the books I've read. The marketing group repeated says that you and I - the corvette demographic - don't want the space and storage limitations of a mid design.

BTW, Dave Mc Clellan's (Zora's successor) book is an excellent read.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts