Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that my condenser in my 95 LT1 is where all my R134 is going, How hard of a job is it to replace? Don't mind getting dirty, but the guy I took it to said about 600$ to fix, i thought that was a little on the high side. A new condenser runs about 270$. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
842 Posts
one thing you will need to do after replaceing condencer you will need a vacuum pump to evacuate the system this also removes any moisture & leak checks then I always fill with nitrogen to flush out the system & to double leak check the job in itself is probably a PITA but you need specialty tools

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
not sure about the 96 model but it's not too different than my 86.

It's a full afternoon's work. You have to pry out the support brace onces it's unbolted. Some of the screws on the bottom inside are easier to get to from underneath. You have to remove the back wheel well, Need foam or something to fill in around the pipes going into the housing-- caulk won't fill the gaps.

Might be able to salvage the housing to firewall gasket if you take your time.

Then there is the refill of the system.

In short it isn't hard-- just time consuming removing everything just to get to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was reading the corvette service manual, it says I will need to drain the radiator, is that true or is there a way around it?

·
Registered
267 Posts
one thing you will need to do after replaceing condencer you will need a vacuum pump to evacuate the system this also removes any moisture & leak checks then I always fill with nitrogen to flush out the system & to double leak check the job in itself is probably a PITA but you need specialty tools
:agree: you need special tool that are available for rent,like the vacuum pump,you can diassemble and assemble again all the stuffs,you must be sure there aren't other leaks...than you have to recharge the system...lots of thing normaly aren't in our garage

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a vacuum pump, I have recharged a/c systems before, just was trying to figure how much time I was needing, day job vs weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I was reading the corvette service manual, it says I will need to drain the radiator, is that true or is there a way around it?
you need to drain the radiator to the point the lines to the heater core don't leak. Can't get to the condensor without removing those lines.

It's a one day thing. without the AC recharge it took me about 3-4 hours to remove the cover and clean mine out. make sure you have replacement heater hose if the ones to the core have been on there awhile. with very little leverage to twist odds are you'll damage them taking them off.

·
Registered
2020 Corvette black over black
232 Posts
I'm confused, is it your evaporator or condenser? The condenser is quite easy to change, remove the top of the fan shroud, disconnect the lines, and it pops right out, no need to drain the coolant. Might as well clean your radiator fins while you're at it.

Blkvette94 is talking about the evaporator, which is much more time-consuming to replace.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
now that I've had coffee.. Yes the thingee in front of the radiator is an easy change. depending on how the fan shroud on your model is you may need to drain just enough coolant to remove the upper hose if necessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you were quoted $600 for a condenser, evacuation and recharge that's not too bad. It can easily run a couple hundred to evacuate and recharge. Then there's the possibility they find another leak. You probably also need a new drier.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help so far, found a good used condenser for $75 bucks and it looks new and was plugged up when removed. I was looking at my shroud, it looks like i will need to remove the radiator bleed hose and the transmission oil cooler outlet pipe. (pictures attached) Should just be able to loosen the bleed hose and plug it with little loss of coolant (hopefuly), not sure about the oil cooler though. Also intend to replace all o-rings and replace the expansion orifice, which I think is inside one of the lines by the evaporator. Guy at autozone says I need to add oil to the compressor before i recharge it, not sure and open for suggestions. I planned on after getting it together and vacumed down to give 3oz oil charge plus 2lb of 134. Just looking for some help so I do this right the first time...and thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for all the help so far, found a good used condenser for $75 bucks and it looks new and was plugged up when removed. I was looking at my shroud, it looks like i will need to remove the radiator bleed hose and the transmission oil cooler outlet pipe. (pictures attached) Should just be able to loosen the bleed hose and plug it with little loss of coolant (hopefuly), not sure about the oil cooler though. Also intend to replace all o-rings and replace the expansion orifice, which I think is inside one of the lines by the evaporator. Guy at autozone says I need to add oil to the compressor before i recharge it, not sure and open for suggestions. I planned on after getting it together and vacumed down to give 3oz oil charge plus 2lb of 134. Just looking for some help so I do this right the first time...and thanks in advance
Sounds like you are on the right track. 3 oz of oil seems reasonable. But it's hard to tell because you don't know how much was removed. The orifice is in the line that loops up and then down into the evaporator connection. It's easy to replace. To be safe, I would replace the drier. They are not expensive. I don't know what to tell you about evacuating and charging. Never done it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was thinking about the drier to. I will have some help evacuating and charging (thanks dad). HOpe i have no more leaks. The hole was caused by the wrong sized bolt that hold the air cleaner cover in place. I had not touched or changed it, i guess it has slowly rubbing a hole in it all this time. 6 dollar part causes all these problems

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well finally changed out the condenser, it took about 2 hours, much easier than i thought, vaccumed it down and recharged it, finally blowing cold air again. Only odd thing is that t blows fine at 6o degrees, but if i move it up to 65 degrees it blows out a funny smell and it looks like smoke or vapor coming out the vents maybe frost, not sure what that is????. Thanks for all the help everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts