Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you guys can straighten me out. Our Vettes have transverse springs in the back, Some have them up front as well. Way back when, the early cars were the same. Then coil springs were touted as the biggee improvements. Yet Corvette still used the transverse, and we even have aftermarket conversions for the front of C3's to eliminate coils.

What's the reasoning? Why are the transverse better? (If they are)

·
Registered
245 Posts
biltogo said:
Maybe you guys can straighten me out. Our Vettes have transverse springs in the back, Some have them up front as well. Way back when, the early cars were the same. Then coil springs were touted as the biggee improvements. Yet Corvette still used the transverse, and we even have aftermarket conversions for the front of C3's to eliminate coils.

Good question. I look forward to seeing some answers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
biltogo said:

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying coil springs or coilover shocks were the big improvements??

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Confused about suspension

Crickett said:
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying coil springs or coilover shocks were the big improvements??
Yes both. Most every car lines went to coils. Why did GM keep the transverse? There must be a reason.

·
Registered
749 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Front Springs..

Don't know how correct you are bout the Transverse Springs up front....I only know of the coil over spring as being a stock set up and yes, there are "after market" Transverse Spring Set Ups available for the C3 cars. Only reasoning I could think of for the mod would be tighter more even handling.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The main adv of a single spring is there is no friction between leafs thus, no change in lb/in over time due to wear......Don

·
Registered
746 Posts
I am not a fan of traverse springs or Buggy springs as some refer them as. The front traverse spring is costly, I have hear complaints about it being a little stiff even on the lower setting and it messes up a nice jacking point for me. I don't want a spring hanging down below the frame.
I also believe it passes harmonics from one side to the other. I am sticking with the coil springs on the front but might some day go to coil overs.
For the back I am in the middle of coil over installation right now. Today my son is powder coating the brackets I made to mount the new coil overs. I have yet to weld them to the frame and trailing arm.
The coil overs will give me a true independent rear with no harmoics passing from one side to the other. As for adjustability the stock spring with the long bolts was easy enough to raise or lower the car.
Most high end race cars are going to coil overs and if I really find my rear ones a big improvement over the traverse spring I might consider them for the front.
Anyone with a little fabricating ability and access to a welder can do the coil overs.
For the back I went Pro shocks, aluminum body, threaded, 5 inch strock 250 pound 12 inch springs Hope it works.
I prefer digresive shocks on the back and while most like progressive for the front I am also considering them for the front.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Norval...Looking forward to seeing the brackets you made up for the rear coilovers, but with Summer just round the corner for us here, any more major mods will have to wait a while.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Yeah, the harmonics passing from one side to the other is the biggest problem. The transverse kit and c4 & c5 use a dual mounted leaf spring, the C3 has a single mount in the rear and the single mount passes ALL harmonics, the dual mount is a lot better but still not optimal.

I don't know why they still use the leaf spring, must be for simplicity and cost.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Brutus I tack welded one of the coil over brackets to the trailing arm this evening. I will now remove the trailing arm and finish weld it and paint it.
I really hate welding to my frame. It is beautifully painted and I am just going to have to mess it up.
The hardest part for me in any fabrication is messing up the paint, the brackets are no problem nor is the welding but it really hurts to take a grinder to the paint.
Remember you can not weld over paint, it contaminates the weld.
Grind the area clean, weld, grind to blend the welds and for looks and repaint.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Originally posted by norvalwilhel ...<br>
I am not a fan of traverse springs or Buggy springs as some refer them as. The front traverse spring is costly, I have hear complaints about it being a little stiff even on the lower setting and it messes up a nice jacking point for me. I don't want a spring hanging down below the frame.
I also believe it passes harmonics from one side to the other. I am sticking with the coil springs on the front but might some day go to coil overs.
For the back I am in the middle of coil over installation right now. Today my son is powder coating the brackets I made to mount the new coil overs. I have yet to weld them to the frame and trailing arm.
The coil overs will give me a true independent rear with no harmoics passing from one side to the other. As for adjustability the stock spring with the long bolts was easy enough to raise or lower the car.
Most high end race cars are going to coil overs and if I really find my rear ones a big improvement over the traverse spring I might consider them for the front.
Anyone with a little fabricating ability and access to a welder can do the coil overs.
For the back I went Pro shocks, aluminum body, threaded, 5 inch strock 250 pound 12 inch springs Hope it works.
I prefer digresive shocks on the back and while most like progressive for the front I am also considering them for the front.<br>
I'm confused about "harmonics"... are you talking about vibration?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick96LT4 ...<br>
I'm confused about "harmonics"... are you talking about vibration?<br>
:agree: Thank you I was going to ask that same qusetion.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
nope, a transverse wave, like in a string, if you move one end and keep the other end still there will be a wave in the string with an amplitude and frequency depending on the motion at the other end. This happens in coil springs too and if you have OJNLY one mount there are waves that will have a frequency such that one of the standing "knots" in the wave will be at or around the mount, this way the mount has no influence on the wave and it will pass through to the other side and affect the suspension there. The dual mount hreatly reduces this since the 2 mounts means that the knots will have to be in those exact 2 places but it can still happen. The mounts do not dampen all the waves either.

Heya Norval, got your IM reply on the corvetteforum but since it's an annoying popup closed it and now I have to find a post by you and THEN click on send IM to reply...how inconvenient LOL

I feel the same about messing up painted surfaces, I powdercoated all my suspension stuff before modding it and that's why I want to get some new stuff or old crappy ones to work on, I'd hate to mess up that finish coat that I worked so hard on to get (I smoothed all surfaces, removed all flash and so on)

Can't wait to see the results of your shock work.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Twin Turbo I partly welded one mount on the trailing arm last night and today mounted the shock checking for freedom of motion and clearance. I found the shock bottomed before all suspension was used up. I still have about 1/2 inch of wheel travel left so tomorrow I will cut the bracket off and start from scratch in making mounts. This will be my 4th attempt. Each time I find something that bothers me with the mounts I make. At least I am getting closer. I have a whole winter so I want to get it right. After this I will go to the spreader bar. Hopefully I won't need 4 attempts at that.
I am fussy about detail. I also don't do as nice a work as Brutus but it will work perfectly, be well enginered and painted, just not the show quality of Brutus.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally posted by norvalwilhel ...<br>

I am fussy about detail. I also don't do as nice a work as Brutus but it will work perfectly, be well enginered and painted, just not the show quality of Brutus.<br>
Norval...You're gonna give me a complex if you keep talking like that.:laughing: Is there such a thing as a blushing smilie?

Bob

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
no need to blush, it's the truth and if you do nice work like that it's just fair you get compliments :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts