Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...litical-views-hard-wired-into-your-brain.html

Scientists have found that people with conservative views have brains with larger amygdalas, almond shaped areas in the centre of the brain often associated with anxiety and emotions.

On the otherhand, they have a smaller anterior cingulate, an area at the front of the brain associated with courage and looking on the bright side of life.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I wouldn't say that would make their brain's abnormal.

This research was based on results from two members of parliament and 90 students. Hardly a statistically significant sample population.

However as they were all adults it was hard to say whether their brains had been born that way or had developed through experience.

That's a big "however".

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Interesting that this tries to say liberals are more content. That doesn't go along with most research.

Article about polls showing Conservatives are happier than Liberals:

Excerpt:

For three decades, the General Social Survey has asked a nationwide sample of adults, “Taken all together, how happy would you say you are these days? Would you say that you are very happy, pretty happy, or not too happy?” Here is a representative sample of the results:
• In 2004, 44 percent of respondents who said they were “conservative” or “very conservative” said they were “very happy,” versus just 25 percent of people who called themselves “liberal” or “very liberal.” (Note that this comparison uses unweighted data — when the data are weighted, the gap is 46 percent to 28 percent.)
• Adults on the political right are only half as likely as those on the left to say, “At times, I think I am no good at all.” They are also less likely to say they are dissatisfied with themselves, that they are inclined to feel like a failure, or to be pessimistic about their futures.
• It doesn’t matter who holds political power. The happiness gap between conservatives and liberals has persisted for at least 30 years. Indeed, the difference was greater some years under Bill Clinton than it was under George W. Bush. Democrats may very well win the presidency in 2008, and no doubt many liberals will enjoy seeing conservatives grieving out about that — but the data say that conservatives will still be happier people than liberals.

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/conservatives-are-happier-than-liberals-discuss/

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
My brain is very abnormal.. :laughing:

I don't think government knows better than me...
I don't think man controls mother nature...
I don't think Utopia is anywhere near possible...
I don't think I could give enough wealth away to make unicorns real..

:cheers:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fully believe the science of the sampling.

What I don't know is:
Abnormally more advanced or abnormally underdeveloped?

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
I fully believe the science of the sampling.

What I don't know is:
Abnormally more advanced or abnormally underdeveloped?
:laughing: I guess you have to look at the dividing factors, rainbows/unicorns vs personal freedom/wealth management.

:D

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Sir Winston Churchill said it best: "If you are 20 and not a liberal you have no heart, if you are 30 and not a conservative you have no brain."

So as a conservative, I'll take an abnormal brain over a nonexistant one any day. :D

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
My brain is very abnormal.. :laughing:

I don't think government knows better than me...
I don't think man controls mother nature...
I don't think Utopia is anywhere near possible...
I don't think I could give enough wealth away to make unicorns real..

:cheers:
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Absolutely hilarious.
However, contrary to the subject of this thread, the word "abnormal" isn't used anywhere in the article.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Don't put much stock in so called experts.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Conservatives have brains?
I thought it was funny.:laughing::laughing:

The problem I have is the distinction between conservative and liberal.

Most Americans are either conservative liberals or liberal conservative, somewhere between Ann Coulter and Michael Moore

1 - 15 of 15 Posts