Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I currently own a C-3 (1978) and considering adding a C-4 to the collection. I found a nice 1984 with 30,000 original miles. The car itself is 100% original except for the tires. The car is in near perfect condition. My Corvette buddies have told me to not even consider a 1984 because of the crossfire injection and the computer in general. I've been told that there were alot of bugs in the 1984.
Can you experienced C-4 guys chime in and tell me if I should forget about a 1984 model? The guy is asking $9000, I was thinking of offering $7500.
I really like the style of the 1984 and I want to stay with an all original car.
Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
The crossfire set up is a very reliable system, just make sure whoever works on it knows something about them, they are like the GM tbi engines w/ a few differences. They put those in a million trucks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
i own an 84 and it was almost 100% original when i bought it as well, it did however have 65k miles on it when i got it though. i bought mine off ebay for $5k. the crossfire isnt as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, you just have to know how to work on it.

on the contrary, im also in the process of eliminiating the crossfire.... not much room for power expandability...

·
Registered
872 Posts
I had an 84 at one point and loved it. Long as nobody has been goofing around with things no worries. I would still be driving that car if it didn't take a super hard hit to the floorboard area. If you want more power virtually any motor fits in so have fun and enjoy expanding the collection.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Morning, my father has an 84 and he loves it. It has turned into his Vette to play with, his 78 is the one that will remain original. The Cross-Fire system in the 84 is still in working order and I must say, it runs good. Down the road his plans are to add more power, but for now it is a reliable car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I'm fairly mechanical and I figure that if I can work on a c-3 I can work on a c-4. My only fear is a computer type failure.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm fairly mechanical and I figure that if I can work on a c-3 I can work on a c-4. My only fear is a computer type failure.
The computers on the 84/85's are so basic they rarely require much, if any, interaction (unless you get heavily modified). Everything else is standard Gen 1 sbc.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
129 Posts
crossfires are cool keep it a crossfire so many people rip it out and put in a carb. If you want a little more power put a renegade intake on it and make the fuel pressure adjustable and crank it up to 15 psi. buy a test pipe from ebay $50 and replace the cat with the test pipe and some free flow mufflers. Put some lower rear gears in it. Here is mine.

Look at the difference in size of the ports the one on the bottom is a stock crossfire intake, the top one is a renegade

Look at the size, length and shape of these ports, this intake really helps wake up the crossfire.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
crossfires are cool keep it a crossfire
:lookinup:

As usually;
4 months late to the party ,Nelson
OP might have missed out on the deal if he was waiting for your input

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Crossfires are super cool.