Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched through several threads and nothing jumped out that talked about cleaning up the frame with the body on. But then again I am sure the info is out there.

I am thinking cleaning up the frame is a good first project. I am not ready to take the car apart and am assuming I can do a decent job with the car up on jack stands. The frame is in good shape with what is probably normal surface rust. Then again, you never know for sure until you actually get under there and start working.

Can I get at the essential areas to clean up surface rust and then coat / paint the frame to protect it. Or am I just making for a more difficult project in 10 years or so when I am ready to really tear the car apart and do a frame off restoration?

Now for the really crazy estimate. If I get after it and don't discover any major issues, I would think this would be about a week long project. Am I underestimating?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think it would be better than not doing anything but will be very awkward to get at some spots and will be a nightmare to mask up and/or stop brush mark slips. Also the while im at it bug could strike and you could be into a frame off resto before you know whats happened. thats why i go under mine seldomly,that being said i got my diff out waiting for cash to put bearings in it.(and maybe make a 6link):thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I think you could do a pretty good job puting in 3 to 4 hours a day.
get a puddy knife some brushes grinder with a steel brush and some power brake cleaner wil your at it you will see lots of things that might need to be fixed.
I bet I scraped off about 20 pounds of black greasy dirt off the frame and the under side of the body.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts