Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Trying to pull the shift console trim plate on my 70 to fix the fiber optics...they all work but they are crossed.......blinkers are backwards and such. Two things are stopping me.

The first is that once i pull the 4 screws and shifter knob, when i lift up the vent adjuster mechanisms want to come up with the console...are those attached somehow?

The second is....how the heck to get those vent adjuster knobs off without breaking them (and no, they arent what is holding the vent mechanisms to the console, the mechanisms want to lift up far before i get to the height of the knobs)

Any advice on this would be helpful....and while we're at it, can anybody recommend a good book on this type stuff? I keep seeing one on "restoring and modifying 1968-1982 Corvettes".....which says it details out a bunch of restoration projects like this in full and gory detail, with pictures...anybody have this or can anybody recommend something similar? I have the shop manual, but it really doesn't show much detail on console removal.

Thanks

BC

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
NMVette said:
Hey all,

Trying to pull the shift console trim plate on my 70 to fix the fiber optics...they all work but they are crossed.......blinkers are backwards and such. Two things are stopping me.

The first is that once i pull the 4 screws and shifter knob, when i lift up the vent adjuster mechanisms want to come up with the console...are those attached somehow?

You have to disconnect the light bulb that's there by the lighter, the juice to the lighter and there's a gound wire spad-type deal that connects to a wire at the upper right-hand corner about 2" in from the right. The wire and the spade clip fit through a slot between the console and a metal bracket that goes from left to right near the top of the console trim plate. I writing this from memory so it's not exact. This is how a '69 is anyway. The vent adjuster mechanisms aren't attached to the trim plate on a '69.

The second is....how the heck to get those vent adjuster knobs off without breaking them (and no, they arent what is holding the vent mechanisms to the console, the mechanisms want to lift up far before i get to the height of the knobs)

The knobs have a tiny hex set-screw on the bottom under the word "close". Push the knobs all the way closed (forward) and you will see them, one per knob. The set-screws run front-to-back, parallel to the long centerline of the car. Once the knobs are off, bring the vent control sticks (minus the knobs) to the mid-position and try to remove the console trim plate. You might have to re-postion the controls.

Any advice on this would be helpful....and while we're at it, can anybody recommend a good book on this type stuff? I keep seeing one on "restoring and modifying 1968-1982 Corvettes".....which says it details out a bunch of restoration projects like this in full and gory detail, with pictures...anybody have this or can anybody recommend something similar? I have the shop manual, but it really doesn't show much detail on console removal.

The Shop Assembly Manual might help. You can get them from Mid-America and other places. (Jason are you reading this, I should have mentioned this one too.)

Thanks

BC
Hope the above helps.

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Fred,
:thumbsup: gotcha. I'll order that, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts