Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would it take or need to run E85 On my 1991? This would be a nice conversion with todays prices. Its at $2.29 Here in South Texas

·
Registered
441 Posts
What would it take or need to run E85 On my 1991? This would be a nice conversion with todays prices. Its at $2.29 Here in South Texas
Unfortunately it's not really a cost saving conversion at all when you consider that a converted (to E85) cars mileage will be "drasticly" reduced running E85 because of the "extremely" low energy content of E85 compared to gasoline...........here's some info for you http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly/living/autos/cr-e85-ethanol-61012.shtml

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's some good stuff but really I don't think I will lose that much milage and money because the unleaded gas is at $3.00+... and the E-85 being at $2.29. Honestly I think it would need alot lot of work to be done anywayz...

·
Registered
441 Posts
That's some good stuff but really I don't think I will lose that much milage and money because the unleaded gas is at $3.00+... and the E-85 being at $2.29. Honestly I think it would need alot lot of work to be done anywayz...
Nah, it's actually not alot of work to do the conversion at all.....it's less than a couple hundred bucks and then the cost of having your PCM recalibrated for the fuels different burn rate.....and believe it or not, you will actually loose even "more" mileage than the vehicle that was in the article posted.....in a performance engine, the E85's burn rate is even more extreme(mileage drop wise)...it's makes GREAT power but absolutely KILLS gas mileage......this is just one of the big reasons it's not a popular conversion to do.....It's really nothing at all to do with the cost of the conversion itself.........even with the much cheaper E85 fuel, and current "crazy" gasoline prices you listed , running the E85 in your car would cost ya considerably more in the end .........Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK well I was browsing some site and this is what I found.... It appears to just be a replacement of the wiring for the injectors and that you are good to go. www.makemycare85.com What do you think. It also claims better fuel economy, and really I don't notice no difference at all on my 05 Silverado. :huh:

·
Registered
321 Posts
OK well I was browsing some site and this is what I found.... It appears to just be a replacement of the wiring for the injectors and that you are good to go. www.makemycare85.com What do you think. It also claims better fuel economy, and really I don't notice no difference at all on my 05 Silverado. :huh:
Given that the energy content per gallon is 75,670 BTU v.s. 115,400 BTU for gas, I doubt that you can get better fuel economy since you would have to increase the efficiency of the motor by quite a bit.

I've always been told that the biggest problem with running over 15% ethanol in gas is that the rubber parts in the fuel pump, lines, and injectors will get screwed up and start leaking. I've never heard anything about just rewiring the injectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts