Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey you tech guys out there!

just bought a complete ZF6 gearbox for my '86 (wich has the original automatic gearbox in it now) including complete clutch, pedals, axle and subframe.

before I begin the transplant I have some questions;

-is it nessesary to intensively modify de tunnel where the gearselect is located?? if so, is it wise to cut that part out of an original ZF6vette (wreck) and transplant that as well??

-is it easy to fix the main clutch-cylinder trough the firewall, as that is difference in the bodywork..??

-is there a big difference between electronic components of automatic and manual wich I need to pay attention to?? like ECM or PROM??

-how will my car run if I don't change the diff?? don't know the gear ratio my current diff has but it is original for '86 automatic...
will it have more top speeds or will it go faster at traffic lights??
will feul consumtion be more or less??

-do I have to modify the speedometer sensor to get a accurate readout?? if so, how is that done best??

hope some of you guys can help me out!

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
I will naswer each Question after eact quote
myvette said:

-is it nessesary to intensively modify de tunnel where the gearselect is located?? if so, is it wise to cut that part out of an original ZF6vette (wreck) and transplant that as well??
Yes you need ot modify it and getting the part from a 6spd car is the best idea

myvette said:
-is it easy to fix the main clutch-cylinder trough the firewall, as that is difference in the bodywork..??
When I did it on my 89 if you look at the firewall fromt he engine side there is what seems to be pilot marks for the bolts for the clutch Master Cylinder to bolt to. Yours may have it too.

myvette said:
-is there a big difference between elektronic components of automatic and manual wich I need to pay attention to?? like ECM or PROM??
Get the GM Shop manual, there are some wires going to the Auto Shifter that need to be spliced, Are you going to wire in the Clutch Safety switch?

The PROM will need to change for that from a 6spd car. I think the 89 Code should work in your car.

myvette said:
-how will my car run if I don't change the diff?? don't know the gearratio my current diff has but it is original for '86 automatic...
will it have more topspeeds or will it go faster at trafficlights??
will feulconsumtion be more or less??

-do I have to modify the speedometersensor to get a accurate readout?? if so, how is that done best??
Try this program http://www.vettextc.net/gear_program.htm

It will give you an idea of change (for normal cruising speeds)
Check the RPO Codes for either G92 or G44 or such, or G__ and this will tell the rear gear.

You will need to know the gear ratio in order to get the correct Drive and Driven Gears for the ZF trans ( or swap them from the Auto)

I think that will cover most of it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tnxs jeff!!

this sure helps a lot!

do you have picture of your tunnel modification??

Are you going to wire in the Clutch Safety switch?
is the clutch safety switch good for safe starting?? if so I won't wire that up as I'm used to have gear in neutral and clutchpedal on the floor as it isn't custom in european cars that I'm used to.

Get the GM Shop manual, there are some wires going to the Auto Shifter that need to be spliced
it's very hard to get an acurate manual in wich I can find out wich wires would have to be spliced or where they are located...
anybody knows??

Check the RPO Codes for either G92 or G44 or such, or G__ and this will tell the rear gear.
don't ask me why but I don't have the RPO sheat with my car so simply looking up wich ratio I have isn't possible.
does anyone have an idea how to figure that out or am I doomed to take my diff apart to find it out??

just 1 unawnsered question left;
-do I have to modify the speedometer sensor to get a accurate readout?? if so, how is that done best??
anyone???

hoping for some more response so the "paperwork" will be complete.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
The ratio will be Stamped on the Differential

I would remove the VSS, Drive and Driven Gears and install them in the 6spd. this way you will not have to worry about the speedo being off

As for the wiring, I did my converison not only for the 6spd but the dash as well and used the GM Manuals for all the wiring.

they are very accurate

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
myvette said:
there most be more loons like jeff and me that did this mod....:huh:
One more real soon... maybe. Drive and Overdrive went out on Christmas morning. I'll seriously thinking about the swap right now.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
stilcrazee said:
Tim, what are you doing here? I thought Renee was in town to keep you "occupied"???
:laughing: Just trying to figure out what to do with my Vette since I lost 2 out of 4 speeds. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts