Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the manual today for my 02 Z and it said every 150k miles or 60 months do a coolant flush. Its been 5 years. Do you guys recommend the coolant flush? Any idea what Mr. Goodwrench is going to rape me for now? :laughing:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was reading the manual today for my 02 Z and it said every 150k miles or 60 months do a coolant flush. Its been 5 years. Do you guys recommend the coolant flush? Any idea what Mr. Goodwrench is going to rape me for now? :laughing:
You are due for the change time wise. Should not need a flush unless you see some sludge in your coolant bottle. The dealer will get you for an hours labor rate plus the coolant at least. You can change it yourself and save some dough if you have some place to dump the old coolant. Don

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a cliff behind my backyard fence i could dump it into..... LOL

How do you flush the coolant? I called my service guy... $168 for the flush! WOW!.

Can you guys tell me what coolant i need to purchase? The manual says something about DEXCOOL (its red). Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
315 Posts
When you get the coolant flushed have them replace ALL your hoses. I have been doing this on all my cars for the past 20+ years. I have not had a hose break since.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I went to dealer about 3 weeks ago to get my annual oil change on my 02. While there he reccomended I do the rear end oil change and coolant system flush. It cost $ 365.75 for all three.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I just do a drain and re-fill every few years. By doing so, your cooling system won't get to the point of needing chemical flushes. It also extends the life of hoses, water pump seals, Tstats, and any aluminum components. If you do it yourself, use G.M. Dexcool and distilled water. Many dealers will not use distilled water and just dump in straight tap water (ask me how I know.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
if you completely flush out ALL the old DEXCOOL stuff you can run any 'ol green stuff that is far cheaper. You just have to make sure you get all the old orange stuff out. I drained, and ran straight water for a week, (roughly 500miles). Then did another drain and quick flush. So far no problems 10ishKmiles later. Agreed on the distilled water, though, good idea.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Also, not all green coolants are the same. Most will be "low silicate." You want to use "non silicate" in anything that has aluminum. Honda makes a top of the line non silicate, and that's the only thing I use greenwise. (actually, it's blue) I Don't use the Prestone crap, there's that little enemy called electrolysis...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had mine flushed and swapped to the "green stuff" just in case I was somewhere where I needed to add and couldn't get the other. Good idea to do. I had a new 94 chev truck that about 3 years nto it's life had the antifreeze turn to acid and eat the intake manifold away until it was almost too late. Change it as soon as you can. good insurance.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
if you have wrench time just dump the freeze and put back what the manual says [this aint rocket science] BEWARE refilling can be tricky and blown head gaskets are the price for mistakes.if ya do the hoses do the belts and all pulleys /bearings

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Change it as soon as you can. good insurance.
Total agreement! A few bucks in antifreeze every few years will save you a lot of coolant related headaches down the road. (Oh the stories I could tell about how people change their oil regularly, but overlook the cooling system until it's nothing but acidic mud.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
if you have wrench time just dump the freeze and put back what the manual says [this aint rocket science] BEWARE refilling can be tricky and blown head gaskets are the price for mistakes.if ya do the hoses do the belts and all pulleys /bearings
I hate to sound retarded but alot of the time I actually am so, what is tricky about refilling and how can i keep from blowing my head gaskets.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I hate to sound retarded but alot of the time I actually am so, what is tricky about refilling and how can i keep from blowing my head gaskets.
Good Questions....They don't pressure fill to eliminate air pockets when done at a stealership do they? I've heard horror stories about other cars when they didn't bleed the air or pull a vacuum, etc.

I'm due to flush or change here soon, hoses are a good idea too.

I'm thinking those blue Goodyear Gator Back hoses and a belt while I'm at it.

gb

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not sure what problems you guys may have had, but normally when you are required to bleed/burp and coolant system it is when the fill point is not the highest point in to coolant system. With C5's the fill point is the highest. I filled mine normally, started the car and ran it for a few minutes, then toped it off and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
345 Posts
When you get the coolant flushed have them replace ALL your hoses. I have been doing this on all my cars for the past 20+ years. I have not had a hose break since.:thumbsup:
I have never replaced a hose in the past 20+ years, and I've also not had a hose break :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
you are pretty smart cuz ya asked a question. an air pocket can cause ya to overheat.ya refill,run a little above idle for say 2 min. ,shut off,refill,squeeze upper hose to help burp it repeat this as many times to get to temp. make sure cooling fan cycles at least once.lotsa times ya can get away with a refill BUT dodo happens.these aint 65 chevys just look a the procedure to check the auto trans fluid

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
OK, it's kind of funny because after my post about cooling system storys, my first job of the day is a rotted out intake manifold, thermostat housing and gaskets. I should also mention, acidic mud was in the radiator....

·
Registered
62 Posts
you are pretty smart cuz ya asked a question. an air pocket can cause ya to overheat.ya refill,run a little above idle for say 2 min. ,shut off,refill,squeeze upper hose to help burp it repeat this as many times to get to temp. make sure cooling fan cycles at least once.lotsa times ya can get away with a refill BUT dodo happens.these aint 65 chevys just look a the procedure to check the auto trans fluid
Thank you. The last vehicle I ever did any real work with my 66 Mustang. Definately a different animal than this C5 but I am starting to gain confidence as muddle through some fixes and preventive maintence. My pocket book has been thanking me since the first day I got on this site. I just wish I would have got here earlier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts