Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a small oil leak in the back if my intake manifold. I recently changed my heads and probably didn't have a big enough bead of RTV.

I took the inatke off, but didn't think to drain the coolant first, so lots of coolant drained into the engine.

Should I just change the oil and clean the intake valley? Is there aything else I need to do?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,545 Posts
Make sure you have a good seal on teh intake. :laughing: Also pull the plugs and make absolutely sure there isn't any water/coolant in the cylinders

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Make sure you have a good seal on teh intake. :laughing: Also pull the plugs and make absolutely sure there isn't any water/coolant in the cylinders
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Change the oil for sure. The oil passages from the valley to the pan allow the coolant to flow down to mix with the oil. Change the oil and filter.

As mentioned, make sure there is no coolant in the cylinders that might hydro lock the piston, which will cause a lot of other problems for you.

Make your silicon bead about 3/8" thick, and let it cure for about 15 minutes before you drop the intake on it. Make sure you have an extra dab at the corners where the intake gaskets meet the front and back 'walls'.

Let the silicon cure for at least 24 hours before starting the engine. Also, make sure your silicon is a high heat application.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts