Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have coolant leaking from where the lower radiator hose slides onto the radiator. I just replaced the lower hose to see if that would fix the problem but it is still leaking. I'm now trying a new hose clamp since the current one is a little played. If that doesn't fix it i'm thinking it may be the radiator itself.

Thoughts on this anyone?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Thoughts on this anyone?
Seeing as the header tank is made of plastic ; the hose spigot could be cracked or the tank itself may have a crack.
Sometimes hard to see because crack may only open up under pressure when warm

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
No over heating ?

Make sure that hose is seated and the clamp on tight

Look for leaks around the water pump

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the same leak and finally bought a new radiator. I think the leak is where the tank joins the core.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Keep us in the loop, I'm chasin a similiar leak but it's on the driver side of the radiator. I get a little drop on the floor and there's nothing that connects on that side of the radiator. The only thing I did see was coolant on the top of the lower radiator hose that may be falling into the channel the radiator sits in and traveling in that direction. My only difference is I have a Bee Cool radiator. I have a pressure testor and found no leaks at all.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hey man!

Still havent found where the leak is coming from yet? Well before you start blowing money on buying parts esp! because you just put a new rad. in... Go to autozone or pepboys and see if they have a cooling system tester... All it is, is a hand pump that pressurizes the system so you can see where the leak is coming from... SHOULDNT be too expensive and its a valuable tool to own!

Id try to diagnose a little more before you start buying any more parts! But thats just me... :thumbsup:

PS: Spring is around the corner! You ready to install your drop!? :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys, I have not been on the forum since i made this post. Nor have I done anything further to try to diagnose the leaking issue.

I'm probably going to take Joe's advice and buy the cooling system tester. It's a good investment for sure.

I have a hunch vetteoz is right about the spigot being the cause of the leak.

Thanks and I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
When you find water in the basement check your roof

When you find water in the basement check your roof. I had a leak and it turned out to be the intake manifold bolts were loose. Tightened them up when i changed the fuel injectors and my leak went away. So what i am getting at is start looking at the top of your engine first.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: Yesterday I tried the easiest thing first...see if it was the clamp. The lower hose has a cheap clamp holding it on so i swapped the upper hose clamp from gm with the cheap one on the lower hose. Drove it around and the lower hose still leaked like an SOB with the gm clamp on.

Next weekend im taking out the radiator to inspect it. Once again i'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
UPDATE: Yesterday I tried the easiest thing first...see if it was the clamp. The lower hose has a cheap clamp holding it on so i swapped the upper hose clamp from gm with the cheap one on the lower hose. Drove it around and the lower hose still leaked like an SOB with the gm clamp on.

Next weekend im taking out the radiator to inspect it. Once again i'll keep you guys updated.
Stiil dont understand why you dont just pressure test it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your answer will be had with in 15 seconds! Once you pressurize the system you will have your answer!!!! It may save you from having to take the rad out if you find out it something else! :spanked:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the same leak and a pressure tester as well. Even with the pressure tester I still can't find the leak.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have the same leak and a pressure tester as well. Even with the pressure tester I still can't find the leak.
LMFAO! How do you know you have the same leak?!?!?!?! :WTF :rolling:

·
Registered
312 Posts
LMFAO AS WELL, This leak is going to make me pull my radiator out of the shroud as well. WTF it's even a Bee COOL!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
:surprised

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE! took out the radiator and found the problem

If you look around the nipple there is a crack around half of it.

Now here is why i think it eventually cracked:

It probably got knocked around during its installation a few years ago and the crack formed over time.

So I ordered a Dewitt aluminum rad and wow is it a lot thicker! Here is the old:

And the new:

And some more:

I've been running the car for a few weeks now with the new rad and im happy to report no problems! WHEW! glad thats over with

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
:thumbsup: :partyon:

Awesome! Now we have to cruise!!!!!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hell yes!
And maybe make some pulls!!!! :D Im dying to know whos car is faster! :D

BTW... We have to install your lowering kit man!!!!!!! Even if you want me to come to you! Just let me know when.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And maybe make some pulls!!!! :D Im dying to know whos car is faster! :D

BTW... We have to install your lowering kit man!!!!!!! Even if you want me to come to you! Just let me know when.
I'm down whenever

1 - 20 of 22 Posts